Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What is BDI or BDS spelled out? Jabber for Mac 9.2(1) Installation and Configuration Guide

I’m spending the day catching up on Jabber/IM&P release notes across the server/clients.

So I’m used to EDI and UDS, but we have a new acronym in the Jabber for Mac 9.2(1) Installation and Configuration Guide called BDI and BDS. However they don’t define what BDI stands for other than BDI is LDAP for non-windows

Clients and suggests it should be used for Jabber for Mac.

What is BDI or BDS spelled out? Something directory integration, but what is the B ?

Then to add to the mix they reference BDS which sounds like the old UDS (is UDS changing to BDS?)

How can Jabber get any more confusing…

I also noted in the  Jabber Video for iPad 9.3.4 release notes that Apple is removing the Always Connect option in the near future. Manually launching Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client before making a call. This is going to upset some customers who like how Lync uses https and just works from anywhere with enhanced directory integration…

• Jabber Clients
Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

What is BDI or BDS spelled out? Jabber for Mac 9.2(1) Installat

Basic Directory Integration. It's not new, we had it in the Windows clients as far back as CUPC. The distinction got introduced when EDI was introduced, relying on Windows ADSI APIs instead of the client making a native LDAP bind.

To my knowledge BDI/BDS are the same thing; I'm guessing S is 'service'. UDS remains unchanged.

I also noted in the  Jabber Video for iPad 9.3.4 release notes that Apple is removing the Always Connect option in the near future. 

Well, they lost a patent infringement lawsuit and chose to change the functionality instead of pay the troll. That's not Jabber's fault. Collaboration Edge will be the way to avoid this in the near future.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.