cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Win Jabber Client & DNS SRV

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I'm trying to get the Windows Jabber client working using the DNS SRV records.

I've created _cisco-uds._tcp SRV records pointing to my CUPS servers. When I fire up the client and login, it says "Cannot communicate with server"

Yet if I hit manual setup, and enter my CUPS server IP address, I can login fine.

I've just looking in the RTMT logs on the CUPS server and can't see anything obvious there. I can't see anything in Windows Event Viewer.

The message about "Cannot communicate" is a bit of a lie as I can see it talking via Wireshark.

How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
17 Replies 17

V.Naveen Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Check DNS record for both CUCM (_cisco-uds._tcp.domain.com) // IM&P(_cuplogin._tcp.domain.com)

Check firewall status if your PC

Try to use upgraded version of jabber 9.7.3

Now there's an interesting question: Which SRV records (_cisco-uds or _cuplogin) do you need? My (naive) understanding was that you just need the _cisco-uds and point it at the IM&P server.

GTG

To answer my own question: According to the docs, the _cuplogin SRV record is for Jabber V8. The _cisco-uds is for Jabber V9

Anyway, I created the unnecessary _cuplogin SRV record, and still no dice.

GTG

Not sure where you would get that, _cuplogin is always required to point to CUPS/IM&P

_cisco-uds isrequired on 9.x (CUCM version, not Jabber) and above.

According to the docs, the _cuplogin SRV record is for Jabber V8. The _cisco-uds is for Jabber V9

It's worth noticing, there were never J4W versions below 9, so, no idea where you're getting this info from.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide_chapter_010.html

I can tell you, point _cuplogin to IM&P, _cisco-uds to CUCM and it should also work, you can also add _cisco-phone-tftp and _cisco-phone-http to cover all bases. I have it in my lab, and it works, if it doesn't work on your environment, make sure these are in the right domain, and using the right ports for each.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Not sure where you would get that, _cuplogin is always required to point to CUPS/IM&P

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_6/InstallConfig/JABW_BK_CDFE9752_00_installation-and-configuration/JABW_BK_CDFE9752_00_installation-and-configuration_chapter_0100.html#JABW_RF_RC2A6191_00

For all these SRV records, Cisco's Documention is, IMHO, a mess. There are different setups in different docs. I've been working off the Jabber Solution Guide document which was supposedly written to make sense of the mess of Cisco's docs.

(I was pointed to that Jabber Solution Guide after I ranted before at my SE about this mess)

GTG

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had this happening at a customer and it turned out the SRV record was in the wrong DNS zone. Jabber *used* to get the DHCP-supplied DNS suffix of the workstation and do the lookup in that zone. Starting around 9.6 when the Service Discovery feature got added, it simply does the lookup in the domain URI supplied when starting up Jabber.

For example, if the workstation has a DNS suffix of ad.domain.com but the user entered jsmith@domain.com, Jabber actually does the DNS query _cisco-uds._tcp.domain.com.

If that's all correct, ensure you have the ports correct for those records. They should be 8443, not the normal XMPP 5222 port.

It's definitely getting the correct domain name. As I said, I can see the client talk to the IM&P Server via Wireshark.

GTG

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

The SRV Records are correct:

$ dig srv _cisco-uds._tcp.example.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> srv _cisco-uds._tcp.example.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31813
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_cisco-uds._tcp.example.com. IN SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_cisco-uds._tcp.example.com. 74487 IN SRV 10 0 8443 imp-2.example.com.
_cisco-uds._tcp.example.com. 74487 IN SRV 0 0 8443 imp-1.example.com.

And the service-location.xml file shows it's picked this all up:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<UCServices>
<ServicesDomain>example.com</ServicesDomain>
<VoiceServicesDomain>example.com</VoiceServicesDomain>
<UCService>
        <type>Webex_CAS</type>
</UCService>
<UCService>
        <type>CUCM</type>
        <connectionInformation>
                <name>_cisco-uds</name>
                <scope>INNER</scope>
                <address>imp-1.example.com</address>
                <protocol>tcp</protocol>
                <port>8443</port>
        </connectionInformation>
        <connectionInformation>
                <name>_cisco-uds</name>
                <scope>INNER</scope>
                <address>imp-2.example.com</address>
                <protocol>tcp</protocol>
                <port>8443</port>
        </connectionInformation>
</UCService>
</UCServices>

GTG

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the "UDS SRV " record should point to the call manager and not to the cups. And the service profile configuration in the call manager will hand over the information of cups to the jabber; in the mean time cucm will also complete the user authentication.

from the resolution information you shared above it seems the record resolves to the fqdn of the im and presence, this does not look correct ;in turn it should actually resolve to the fqdn of call manager.

You also mentioned that you created the _cuplogin record as well; and that did not work. The reason why it is not going to work  is because you already have "_cisco-uds " SRV record created and this will precedence over the _cuplogin SRV record.

you can do one of the following 2:

1) Now what you need to see is ; if you want the authentication request to be sent to im and presence node then only use _cuplogin in record and make it look at the fqdn of im and presence server. Also you will need to remove the UDS SRV record that you created.

2) If you want to use UDS SRV record; then remember the authentication would be done by call manager and the service profile in the call manager will assign the im and presence server details to Jabber. Hence you will want to use the FQDN of cucm with the UDS SRV record. Also if this record is created _cuplogin will not take precedance.

Please refer to this link for more help;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide_chapter_010.html

- please rate if this helps.

Dumb question: Which servers in my cluster should the _cisco-uds SRV records point to? My Pub? My TFTP servers or my Subs?

GTG

_cisco-uds SRV should be pointed the server which having UDS services in running mode.

If possible start UDS service in all servers and Create _cisco-uds srv for all your CUCM servers.

UDS is used for syncing with an external LDAP directory (e.g. Active Directory) We don't have an LDAP directory to sync to.

GTG

Wrong, UDS is a set of services which include directory and the ability to provide the association between a userID, and its associated devices. If you pull a problem report from J4W you'll see this happening.

Nothing to do with LDAP sync.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: