Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Cisco Jabber Video 4.7.4 thinks 4.6.3 is the "latest"

When logging in with Cisco Jabber Video 4.7.4 (Mac), the user is prompted to "update" to 4.6.3.

Which is nonsense.

downgrade.png

Your version checking server appears to not have been updated.

Everyone's tags (1)
12 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Cisco Jabber Video 4.7.4 thinks 4.6.3 is the "latest"

This is because the 4.7 version has not been fully tested for use on the @jabber.com service.  This does not mean it won't work.  Only users who have a MAC where the camera is not being detected should use this version on this service.  There is no ETA on when this will be updated.

Re: Cisco Jabber Video 4.7.4 thinks 4.6.3 is the "latest"

That's completely unmanageable.

I have 1000 staff Macs, and you're saying I shouldn't deploy 4.7.4 across the board, I should deploy the broken 4.6.3 version, wait for them to call the helpline that it's not working, then fix it one-at-a-time with 4.7.4.

4.7.4 is either released to production or it's not. If it's not, let me know now so I can delete my 4.7.4 package, tell my users Cisco still haven't fixed it yet, and wait for 4.7.5 or something that is production-ready.

Cisco Employee

A new version will not fix the message, as you are correct that this comes from the server.

Your users only need to ignore and cancel the message if they are using this version.  The teams who manage this infrastructure are already aware of what users are seeing, but there is no ETA on when the server or messaging will be updated.

Jason

Sorry, but that's really not good enough.

Users will do what the computer tells them to do. You're asking users to understand your development process, because your update server does not. That's poor IT. The aim of (good) IT is to hide the complexity, so that everything just works. So that bad, problematic options are not offered to the user, so that productivity is not lost and support calls are not raised due to simple, avoidable mistakes or obviously poor decisions.

If Apple's software update system does not ask users with MacBook Air-specific OS build to "update" to an older build, if Mozilla can manage 4 main channels of Firefox (Aurora, Beta, main and ESR), and my SCCM system can handle more than one version number as collection membership criteria, then surely Cisco can handle two - the main "everywhere" one, and the fix-specifc build. Seriously. All I'm asking is to flag 4.7.4 as being a valid, current version on your update checking server. If your system can't handle that, then you need to look for a new one, because it's not doing its job.

I realize that a new version will not "fix" the message. What I was referring to is that if 4.7.4 is Air-specific and not fit to be used everywhere, and if I'm expected to explain Cisco's version behavior to users and try to educate them to decline the update (which will come back to haunt us later, when a real update they do need is prompted, but they continue to decline it), as you're asking me to, then I'd rather continue to give them the broken 4.6.3 that the server is asking them to install, wait for a version (a theoretical 4.7.5 or 4.8) that is fit to be used everywhere, and tell my users that Cisco is refusing to fix the camera bugs in their software. That's much easier for me to manage, easier to explain to them, and easier for them to understand.

Cisco Employee

Hi TG,

This will be fixed, but there is no ETA. 

On a side note, this only impacts the free @jabber.com service, which is what you are using.  If you had your own infrastructure with the Jabber Video clients registered there, this would not happen as you would then be controlling the software version.

Once the @jabber.com service has corrected this message I will post to this forum to let you know.

Regards,

Jason

Hi there,

any news on this? I use 4.7 and Jabber tells me to use 4.6.2GA as the "newest version".

Axel

Cisco Employee

Everyone,This issue is now

Everyone,

This issue is now resolved.  We have upgraded the Jabber Video version to 4.8.8 for this service.  You should no longer see the upgrade pop-up for the older version.

Regards,
Jason

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Old thread but we are receiving reports from users running Jabber 4.8.12.18951 being prompted to "upgrade" to version V4.4.8 -- obviously a backward step.

We run TMS v 14.2.2

Has anyone seen this bug resurface?

CB

Cisco Employee

Hi CB,

Hi CB,

There is no support for TMS here in this forum.  Please post your issue and question here to get the right engineers involved:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/5886/telepresence

Regards,

Jason

Will do, Jason.

Will do, Jason.

So are you saying this is not a Jabber issue, but a TMS issue?

Chris

Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,

This forum is specifically setup for a beta service that is EOL at the end of the month.  The forum is not for the CJV client in general.  The telepresence forum I gave you is the right forum for TMS, the client, and anything related to Telepresence.  I can tell you this though, that message is coming from either TMS or from an VCS-C or Call Manager, whichever houses login control for your Cisco Jabber Video client.  The client itself will not know when or how to upgrade.  

Within the settings of the client there is a URL the client communicates with for authentication.  That is most likely the server telling your users to change the client version.

Hope this helps.  If not, that other forum will get you the help you need.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

Hi,

I just came across this post.  I'm hoping you have it figured out by now, but in case you don't what you are seeing is a setting in the TMS Provisioning Template that has the lower version defined.  When Jabber signs in it checks this setting.  If there is a value entered the user will be prompted to "upgrade" to that version.  If you don't want to see that I would suggest clearing that field in the template.

I hope that helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content