Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How can I block users from using Free Cisco Jabber telepresence

Hi, I know this is a strange request, but we are using an enterprise Jabber client with on prem VCS-C and VCS-E and we are a hospital organization with limited bandwidth.  We have blocked the website so the software cannot be downloaded, but it is still possible to bring it in on a thumb drive.  I was thinking I could block the port used for RAS or some other ports that would acheive the same result.  My VCS-E is in my DMZ, so I don't think blocking ports on the firewall will affect my existing infrastructure.

Thanks!

Darren

5 REPLIES

So after working on this for a bit, I see that the server for registration is using Https, and I can't block port 443 as it is used for many other applications.  Any other way to block this?

Re: How can I block users from using Free Cisco Jabber teleprese

Hi Darren,

Can't you block the URL on your firewall, which should prevent the client from registering with Cisco?

I guess this would be the one:

https://sjc1-movi-pr-bootproxy-vip.ciscojabbervideo.com/endpoint/configuration

which in turn redirects it to the proxy address.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Re: How can I block users from using Free Cisco Jabber teleprese

We use websense to block sites, but we currently cannot block any https sites.  I will see if we can use the firewall to block this address, rather than websense.

It's not likely that Cisco will change this addess, that's my assumption, anyhow. I suppose if they did, users would have to upgrade their software for it to change.

you could put an acl on your firewall to block the IP/hostname of the above url

You could create an entry in hosts file for CiscoJabberVideo.com and point it to 1.1.1.1 so it would never resolve.

Or if you don't want to mess with host files, you could override the DNS on your corporate DNS server.   Just create a Forward Lookup Zone for Domain.com (CiscoJabberVideo.com in this case) and create an A record for sjc1-movi-pr-bootproxy-vip and point it at nothing (1.1.1.1).

Views
Helpful
Replies