Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jabber 4.3 not recognizing webcam from new Macbook Air's

We have a issue where Jabber is not recognizing the webcams on the new macbook airs.  The 'FaceTime HD Camera' not showing up.  In the settings under video only 'Automatic Selection' availabile and screen is where the preview would be there is a green.  It states 'Make sure a camera is properly connected to your computer'

Has anyone else expereinced this?  This is happening on all new macbook airs we have

41 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Travis,

My recommendation first is to upgrade the version of Jabber Video, which is 4.6 now.  Please retest after the upgrade and let me know if the problem persists.  There have been a few updates from 4.3 to 4.6. 

Go here if you are using Cisco Jabber Video Beta: https://www.ciscojabbervideo.com

Go here if you are using the Cisco Jabber Video Enterprise version: http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283613653&softwareid=280886992&release=4.6.3.17194&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=rs

Regards,

Jason

I have upgraded to the latest 4.6 that you suggested.  I am still having the same issue.  I have attached a screenshot.

I can confirm this problem on a new Macbook Air.

Likewise here with version 4.6.

I have talked with Apple about this and VMware (same problem), and it would appear that it's because the camera is no longer USB, but is PCI now.  At least, that is the information I have collected so far.

Cisco Employee

Hi All,

This has been confirmed to be a known issue with version 4.3 to 4.6.  The fix will be in version 4.7.  There is no ETA for that release at this time.

Regards,

Jason

I've tried to connect a Logitech 910C via USB to the new MacBook Air. It's not working either.

It would be great to get a fix as soon as possible.

Hey Jason,

An ETA on 4.7 would help alot.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Hi Luke,

There is no available release date as of yet.  Target is within the next two months.  It might be available at the end of this month, end of September, or end of October.  That's all the info I have. 

Regards,

Jason

Re: Jabber 4.3 not recognizing webcam from new Macbook Air's

Here is Cisco's dilema; and mine. Executives and senior mgt (the ones that sign the big checks for all of our cisco infrastructure) are usually the ones who run out and buy the latest macbook air as soon as they can.

So Inevitably they are constantly pissed off at cisco. First because Cisco will not fix the MAC version to allow full screen powerpoint presentations (this is huge and it appears that cisco has given up on it) and now this camera issue.

Yes MAC users are a small minority but it is this same minority that keeps Cisco afloat. Cisco should at least try to keep them happy.

Would it be possible to receive an update as to where Cisco is currently at with the 4.7 software as well as an updated ETA? It would appear that other services are beginning to patch this issue and we are now receiving more questions from our users. If we could at least provide a general ETA that would help placate them.

Same issue. MBA 2013. Skype works.

Unfortunately I do not have a solution, but I do have an answer.

I have one of the newest Macbook Air's, and recently discovered this issue. The JabberVideo app doesn't recognize the camera, and neither does Webex Conferencing. Jabber however works like a charm.

After some digging with a colleague (who purchased an Air about a year ago), we found that the Camera in the older model shows up under USB in the system information. On the new system the Camera shows up under Camera (go figure).

Through my powers of deductive reasoning, I am inclined to think that the 2 applications that are not working do not have the capability of looking elsewhere for the camera on a MAC.

Hopefully, this is something that Cisco can fix. I don't understand why Jabber can see my "FaceTime" camera, but the other 2 applications cannot.

Hopefully this saves someone else time.

I'm sure that Cisco knows that the camera is connected via PCIe (no longer USB) and that the camera works different at driver level.

The developer of the nice App "Webcam Settings" knows very well what to do. He has already re-written his App to support the new features of the new MBA.

If other applications are working - they are using a different API.

Same case with a new Macbook and Cisco Jabber 4.6. Interestingly the Windows version with Parallels 8 detects well the camera in the same laptop.

Cisco Employee

+1 for same issue.  Quick fix will really be appreciated.

I'm also finding that an external USB camera can't be detected by the Jabber Video app on the MB Air.  Does that make sense with Apple's switch the PCI internal camera or do I also have a camera issue at same time?

I have a Cisco Tandberg Precision HD webcam and it is NOT working with Jabber 4.6 either. I have OSX 10.9.

Same issue here. My work aound - I use the Cisco external camera.  It is not picked up right away, however it does get picked up within 1 minute of connecting to the Macbook Air.  I use the Air to lighten my bag; carrying camera not ideal.  Waiting impatiently for fix.

I did a little digging within the app itself and it appears the root of the issue may be with the framework this app is built on...it's not a CISCO-only problem.

The core of the video streaming capabilties are built form here:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

and attribution:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/

Movi

TANDBERG Movi is a professional video conferencing system, supporting HD video and Echo Cancellation.

So it's possible we must wait for updates from the gstreamer folks before we see resolution. Travis can you confirm either way?

This also explains why the client is so feature-poor. No addressbook pushing to the client like with the expensive endpoints :/

JB

I'am getting more and more confused about using a camera (internal and external) with MacBook Air (Mid 2013).

I like to share with you my observations regarding Skype and Cisco Video clients on new macBook Air:

- Skype went well from the beginning (internal and external camera)

- Cisco Jabber Video client didn't recognize an internal nor an external camera

After installing the MacBook Air supplemental update for 10.8.5 (released 3-Oct-13):

- Skype was only recognizing the external camera

- Cisco Jabber Video client was also recognizing the external camera

To get the internal camera working I followed a hint and installed the combo Update for 10.8.5:

- Skype is working brilliant with internal and external camera

- Cisco Jabber Video client is no longer recognizing any kind of camera

Installing the supplemental update again doesn't changed anything

Cisco Employee

Hello to everyone on this post,

The Cisco Jabber release 4.7 to resolve this issue will be available to download on 10/18/13.

Regards,

Jason

Awesome. I hope this works on OS 10.9 too.

Are we still looking at the client being released today? I don't see it up there quite yet, but it is early in the day.

Thanks for the info.

Cisco Employee

Hello Everyone,

This has been delayed.  Hopefully this will be up sometime next week.  I'll post when the file is actually available.

Regards,

Jason

It's now the end of "next week". Any updates?

Cisco Employee

Hi All,

I am now being told Jabber Video 4.7 will release next week.  I will post the link as soon as it becomes available.  I do not have an exact date, so please wait for my post.

Thank you,

Jason

Macbook Pro users are affected with the latest operating system update.

Hopefully Jabber Video for Mac 4.7 is released soon.  It is already 10/30/2013.  And I have to use it at work next Monday.

As a work-around I may have to use an older computer or use my iPad.

Cisco Employee

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content