Views
Helpful
Replies

1 GIG Tranceiver for distance 35 KM

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi netpro

I want to connect to 2 sites together apart 35KM using 1 GIG Speed , the question is that Transceiver should i use for the speed and distance mentioned

Thanks

22 Replies 22

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-ZX-SM

Hi Lealaohoo

Thanks for reply

Pls can y post me all transceivers with different bandwidth speed and distance either SM or MM

Also can this Tranceiver support the Procade san switch ?

Does GLC-ZX-SMnsupported on the Brocade SAN Switches?coz i need to  connect both Bocade SAN in DC-1 and DC-2 using Dark fiber apart 35 KM

Does GLC-ZX-SMnsupported on the Brocade SAN Switches?

I'm not sure.  I'm no Brocade expert.

What appliance do you intend to use the SFP in?

Hi leolaoho

i will be using the GLC-ZX-SM , on the 6500 Based VSS

when we configure VSS so no need for GLBP OR HSRP because both acts as one logical virtual switch .am i right?

Thanks

ibrahim

Errrr ... You CANNOT use 1Gbps for VSS.  I mean you may need a 1 Gbps link for heartbeat but for VSS you need 10 Gbps.

VSS is not supported on the X6704-10GE line card.

Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System Deployment Best Practices

Cisco 10GBASE XENPAK Modules

Cisco 10GBASE X2 Modules

Hi Leolaohoo

i have question ,what happen if one switch in a  cluster VSS goes down,who will be affected?

the servers will be connected to both 6500 bsed VSS in teaming mode is it possible to be Active/Active link from each server to both VSS switches ?

i have question ,what happen if one switch in a  cluster VSS goes down,who will be affected?

You have two chassis in a VSS, A & B.  If chassis A goes down, say, because of supervisor failure then whatever clients are connected to A goes down too.

the servers will be connected to both 6500 bsed VSS in teaming mode is it possible to be Active/Active link from each server to both VSS switches ?

Let me get this straight, you have a server connected to two chassis in VSS at a distance of 35 km?  Really?  How?

the servers will be connected to both VSS switches in the local DC

the intra DC will be connected using GLX-ZX-SM

whatever clients are connected to A goes down too.

so where the redundancy if the client goes down?

in VSS Mode do we need GLBP or HSRP?

in VSS Mode do we need GLBP or HSRP?

No.

whatever clients are connected to A goes down too.

so where the redundancy if the client goes down?

VSS, in my humble opinion, would work well if you don't have that distance to deal with.  VSS, in my opinion, is good if both chassis are in the same DC.  This is to cater to the fact that a server with multiple NICs can have at least one NIC going to each VSS pair.  In this scenario if one of the two VSS pair would go down then the server would still be chugging along because there's another link going to a working VSS chassis.

thanks Leolaohoo

with VSS could the Servers links connected to both VSS using teaming and  acting as active/active ?both links will  forward traffic instead of Active/standby

with VSS could the Servers links connected to both VSS using teaming and  acting as active/active ?both links will  forward traffic instead of Active/standby

I'm still confused on how you can team a server NIC at a distance of 35 km.  Still don't know how you intend to do this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card