Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

10/100/1000 BaseT surge suppression

A customer of mine has a site that's near the coastline. As such, they get more than their share of thunderstorms and bad weather. What can you recommend on a good indoor or outdoor type 10/100/1000BaseT surge suppressor?

I'm looking at the Altelicon right now, but I can't find any certifications (ie. UL), reviews or testimonials about them.

Currently, they use Black Box suppressors, but as far as I know, they don't make models rated for 1000BaseT. We tried but the link became unstable.

My customer may eventually move on to fiber optics for total isolation, but knowing how upper management thinks, this could take a while. In the meantime, they need to protect their Cisco switches and servers from nearby lightning strikes.

1 REPLY
Green

Re: 10/100/1000 BaseT surge suppression

Check out the Anixter online catalog (www.anixter.com).

The last thing I saw only went to Cat5 and was meant for entrance protection. I'm pretty sure it was made by Avaya.

There is usually some basic surge / static protection built into the port hardware. It might be worth checking with your Cisco rep for the specific details.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies