Views
Helpful
Replies

1000Base-T Backbone

mwhite004
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like some feedback on a proposed 1000Base-T backbone I am planning.

Currently have 4 Catalyst 3500 XL switches, all 10/100Base-T, interconnected by GigaStack cables. I am thinking of getting a CISCO WS-G5483 (1000Base-T module) for one of the switches and uplinking this to a Netgear 24 port Gigabit rack mountable switch.

My plan is to have all my production servers, routers, firewalls, etc. on the gigabit switch and just have the catalysts uplinked to it. Only one catalyst would be uplinked and all my workstations/printers would be on these switches. In essence, the Netgear gigabit switch would be the backbone for my network.

Any possible pitfalls with this setup?

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello,

Having a 1000 Base T will really not hamper the performance. Make sure you dont cross the distance limitations of UTP and be really sure that these switches are close to each other.. If distance increases, there are possibilities of interference and errors on the uplink...

Your setup really looks fine, but only for that Netgear component. Well, I have really not worked on netgear, but is that a stable switch. When you are going to connect core servers onto such switches, make sure you really know the component. I would look at some switch like 4948, which can ideally be used in such scenarios. Also, try having 2 core switches and make sure there is no single points of failure, especially on the Core. have dual NICs for the servers, and connect to the core switches...

Hope this helps. all the best . rate replies if found useful.

Raj

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello,

Having a 1000 Base T will really not hamper the performance. Make sure you dont cross the distance limitations of UTP and be really sure that these switches are close to each other.. If distance increases, there are possibilities of interference and errors on the uplink...

Your setup really looks fine, but only for that Netgear component. Well, I have really not worked on netgear, but is that a stable switch. When you are going to connect core servers onto such switches, make sure you really know the component. I would look at some switch like 4948, which can ideally be used in such scenarios. Also, try having 2 core switches and make sure there is no single points of failure, especially on the Core. have dual NICs for the servers, and connect to the core switches...

Hope this helps. all the best . rate replies if found useful.

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card