Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

100Mb SFP compatibility on 2960G switches

Hi,

I came across an interesting scenario recently when a Cisco 2960G-24TC-L switch failed (4x ASIC dual SFP/TX ports stopped working)

This switch had a GLC-GE-100FX sfp downlink connection to 2940 which worked fine.

The only spare switch I had to replace the 2960G-24 was a 2960G-48TC-L which you would think being in the same family would be indentical but with more port capacity?

Here lies the question to Cisco:

Why on earth would you not make these two switches identical to the point where one requires a GLC-GE-100FX sfp (24 port) BUT the 2960G-48TC-L requires a GLC-FE-100 sfp to be compatible??

This to me does not make any sense what so ever - further more after spending hours tracing the problem with getting the link into full duplex, it has cost me another different sfp to get this link working.

When I used the GLC-GE-100 on the 48 port switch and set the media-type, the link would stop, so I checked the 100mb sfp compatibilty sheet and found the above to my complete amazement.

Both switches have GE dual sfp/tx ports so why the difference?

If someone can answer the above, I would at least know why cisco have done this?  

thanks             

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: 100Mb SFP compatibility on 2960G switches

Both switches you mentioned C2960G-24TC-L and C2960G-48TC-L support both FCL-FE-100FX and GLC-GE-100FX..

Table 2 second and fifth rows.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html

ok, I see that in Table 8.

I wasnt doing anything different between the two switches so that does not explain the results I was getting unless....

Maybe the GLC-GE-100FX Gbic is faulty?

I will test on another 2960G-24 and 48 port switch.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you post #show inventory when sfp is inserted. Try to setup duplex and speed before inserting sfp.

Views
Helpful
Replies