Views
Helpful
Replies

10G Auto Negotiation problem

amohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have an issue with a Cisco 4900M switch with a WS-X4908-10G-RJ45 half card.  The link connection between a 10Gbase-T server nic and the switch does not establish, i believe it is an auto negotiation problem.  The link fluctuates constantly between connected and disconnected when set to auto negotiate.  When the 10G half card port groups are configured for 1G connections it does the same.  If i hard code the server nic to 1G the link remains up when the port group is at 1G.  If i hard code the server nic to 10G the link stay down, i don't think the port speed and duplex can be hard coded on the switch end.  I have tried updating the drivers on the server as well as diagnostic tests on the nic, which passed.  The 4900M IOS code is version 15.0.2-SG2.  If i plug a laptop into the 1G configured port the switch and the laptop negotiate at 1G.  Also, i believe, if the 10G server nic is plugged into another 1G only switch the link auto negotiates to 1G as normal.  The server nic is an INTEL Server Adapter AT 10G, which became end of life in 2009.  I believe the half card came out in 2010.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Aleel

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How long is your copper cable?

How about the cable?  Could be a faulty cable.

If you have a Gig port on the 4500 you can test it. 

I'm using a new tested 10ft CAT6 UTP cable.  the link works at 1G when hard coded or auto negotiated when connected to a 1G switch interface.

This issue was resolved by downgrading the IOS image on the 4900M switch from version 150-2.SG to 122-54.SG1

I am having the same issue - I upgraded to 151-2.SG and the problem still exists.

I will try 122-54.SG1, thanks.

Cheers,

Shane

122-54.SG1 worked for me as well. I have raised a support case, case number: 625130853.

Hopefully there will be an updated release in the 15.x IOS stream fixing this issue.

Cheers,

Shane

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card