Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

10G fiber cable instead of VSS Cable

Hello Friends

i have two WS-C6506E chassis with  two VS-S720-10G-3C modules

and for physical connectivity i have two 10G fiber optic cables to each other

one is single mode and the other is multi mode fiber cable with 10 gig speed

my question is how i can configure both Sup engines if i want to configure VSL link between them

Or can i configure VSL betweem then in this envoirment or no ???

OR i need to configure a simple trunk links on both side Or HSRP for redundancy??

please advice me how i can configure both of the sup engine for this link between them.

thanks you for coopration in advance

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 10G fiber cable instead of VSS Cable

Waseem,

Creating a VSL link should not be a problem in this case. As far as your interfaces are up, you should be able to create a VSL link. Once VSS configured there is no need for HSRP as VSS switch from the L3 perspective will be a single control plane.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thank you for your reply Amit

actually Amit i want to use 10 G fiber cable (instead of VSS Cable)

and i have 10 G modules on both Sup engines one is single mode and other is Multi mode so like this i need two 10 G fiber cables one is SM and other MM respectively. this is physical connectivity betweem two sups in two chassis right?

can you help me for configuration that what i have to configure on both interfaces in each sup?? and for redundancy can i use vss basic configuration on both sups??

please advice me about this on configuration review

thanks for your cooperation

VIP Super Bronze

For VSL links, you can use a combination of Multi-mode or single mode, but of course the prefer method is to use the same optics for all 4 interfaces.

here is link to start your VSS config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

BTW, there is no such thing called VSS cable...

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies