Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

10G links between serverfarms

Hello everybody

We are implementing reserve server farm (SERVERFARM2 at the picture) and we want to connect the farms via the 10G link. 10G is the requirement.

I have a server vlan and several clients vlans. Inter vlan routing is provided by 3750G LAN switches, servers are also connected to them at the moment.

I have attached the desirable scheme.

There will be about 8km distance between serverfarms. Main traffic will be database replication traffic between two serverfarms.

I don't know what is better, to interconnect serverfarms using layer 2 domain (in this case the reserve will be provided by spanning tree) or to connect them via layer 3 links (reserve will be provided by OSPF)?

I have chosen WS-C3750E-24TD+

Cisco X2-10GB-LR cards as server farm switches.

Will they handle 10Gbps of traffic on the routed layer 3 ports? Or 10Gbps speeds are real only at layer 2 links?

1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Re: 10G links between serverfarms

"I don't know what is better, to interconnect serverfarms using layer 2 domain (in this case the reserve will be provided by spanning tree) or to connect them via layer 3 links (reserve will be provided by OSPF)? "

If routing is supported by the equipment, newer design practice generally uses L3. (NB: There will be a higher license cost to use OSPF on a 3570E, I believe. You also could route on just the 3570Es and use L2 only on your 3750Gs edge switches.)

"Will they handle 10Gbps of traffic on the routed layer 3 ports? Or 10Gbps speeds are real only at layer 2 links?"

Should be about the same performance as long as L3 is CEF switched in the hardware.

PS:

BTW, if you don't plan to stack the either the 3750G or 3750E switches, don't forget to consider the 3560 series; a little less expensive.

Also don't forget if and where stacked 3750Es not needed, the two 10G 4900 series switches are another option.

[edit]

PPS:

Also if you don't know, with the 3750 series you can mix 3750, 3750G and 3750E in the same stack. If you do this, the 3750Es give up Stackwise+ features but it's another less expensive option if a non-E stack would be suitable except for the need for 10G uplinks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content