cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10g ports with redundancy

Pohl_23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I hope this is the right section to post this kind of question.

Basically I need to know which switch should I buy to achieve the customer's needs.

Each floor will have 1 x 2960 with 2 10GB uplink to the core switch. The problem is I don't know which switch should I buy acting as a CORE. The customer needs at least 16 x 10G ports for each switch and the core must be redundant in some way. So the 3750 is not an option and I thought about the 4500-x with VSS but actually I'm not sure this is the best idea. Servers will be attached directly to the core switch (I know, this is not the best idea but this is what the customer want to do).

Thanks for you replies / help

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well, still, likely your choice will be determined by budget and required features.

6500 can take service modules, although limited with VSS, and it's possible it will soon go EoL.

The 6807 offers more long term potential than the 4500-X, but you'll be paying for that up front.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Perhaps two Nexus 5548 with one or two FEX could also be an idea for that scenario.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Actually I don't see the need to use a Nexus for this. VSS between 2 4500-x achieve the same result and cost a bit less.

I know VSS can be used only with 2 switches and the fact is I will have to connect these two 4500 to others 2 switches in another building.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, VSS with the 4500-X is one possibility, as would be the new 6880.

Or, instead of VSS, you could use a 4500, 6500 or 6807 with dual sups and dual line cards.

With VSS, your single point of failure is the IOS.  With the (redundant card) chassis, your single point of failure is the chassis, itself.  There's not much of a difference in MTBF.

Any of the above (or Nexus) would likely work well for you.  Selection depends on your budget and feature requirements.

Thanks for your reply.

Honestly I prefer to use VSS instead of redundant cards.

Both the 6500 and 6807 support VSS so the question is: 4500-x, 6500 or 6807?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Well, still, likely your choice will be determined by budget and required features.

6500 can take service modules, although limited with VSS, and it's possible it will soon go EoL.

The 6807 offers more long term potential than the 4500-X, but you'll be paying for that up front.

Thanks after looking at the adv/dis for each solution I still think the best box is the 4500x.

Thank you very much for your support!

Regards

Perhaps couple of 6509 with sup 720-10G is better solution considering things such as future expansion of the network at client site.Also it is capable of delivering better performance in terms of hardware.

Regards,

Mitesh Manwatkar.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card