cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10g switch

nawazkaleem
Level 1
Level 1

hi, SFP port of WS-C3750G-24TS support 10g or not? and please also inform me any other gigabit switch which has upto 4 10g ports.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
SFP port of WS-C3750G-24TS support 10g or not

No it won't.

and please also inform me any other gigabit switch which has upto 4 10g ports.

3850 will support up to 4 SFP+ (10 Gbps) per unit.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

3750G series switches do not support 10Gig interfaces.  If you need to have 4 10Gig interfaces, you need a 3850 switch.

it comes with 24 or 48 port 10/100/1000 copper and 4 10Gig fiber interfaces for uplink.

see data sheet below for all models:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

HTH

In addition to Reza and Leo's correct information above, you can also build a stack of 2 (or more) 3750X switches with multiple optional C3KX-NM-10G 2-port modules to get 4 (or more) 10 Gbps ports using 1 RU Catalyst 3000 series switches.

Of course you can also use a 4500X or any of the chassis-based switches (4500 series or 6500 series) or even a Nexus 5000 series.

you can also build a stack of 2 (or more) 3750X switches with multiple optional C3KX-NM-10G 2-port modules to get 4 (or more) 10 Gbps ports

But Marvin this solution would be very expensive since the price of a 3850 is exactly the same as a 3750X.  Getting a single 3850 (an an optional 10 Gbps module) would be half the price of getting two 3750X (and two 10 Gbps module).

Hi Leo,

True it is more expensive yes but not exactly 2x. I just built a validated configuration in CCW for a 3850 with 4 x 10 GE module. (Note the 4 x 10 GE module is only supported on the 48 port 3850.) I compared it to a pair of 24 port 3750X each with a 2 x 10 GE module. Both with IP services licenses and no service options. The list price of the 3750X in US$ was $27,500 vs. $23,500 for the 3850 configuration. That's ~17% more for the 3750X approach by my figuring. Going with LAN base makes it even closer - $16,398 vs. $15,400 or ~6.5% more.

So yes the 3850 is less expensive and it is a nice shiny new box (with shiny and brand new-ish software - I seem to recall recent posts from this Leo guy saying avoid 15.x ) with the new UADT ASICs and built-in wireless controller (also still a bit buggy) that can be licensed, faster stacking technology with nicer stack cables, etc. The 3750X is a bit more but also more tried and true.

Each customer will have different needs and risk profiles and should choose their gear accordingly as an informed decision.

Hi Marvin,

How is everything neighbor?

Reza

So yes the 3850 is less expensive and it is a nice shiny new box (with shiny and brand new-ish software - I seem to recall recent posts from this Leo guy saying avoid 15.x  ) with the new UADT ASICs and built-in wireless controller (also still a bit buggy) that can be licensed, faster stacking technology with nicer stack cables, etc. The 3750X is a bit more but also more tried and true.

LOL!

Yo Marvin!

Someone rated all of our posts a "3" star.

Either someone knows more than all of us or someone doesn't appreciate our posts. 

Hi Leo,

Ah well. 3 stars are better than none.

...just 21 more points 'til my Purple Star

p.s. Reza - all is well on the north side of the Toll Road.

You're 12 points away now.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

3750G series switches do not support 10Gig interfaces.

Actually there was the (rare) WS-C3750G-16TD which had a single 10g port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card