Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

10Gb-10Gb cross-device compatibility questions (PHY-connectors)...

Hi, all, in general, I'm a little surprised at all the PHYsical layer standards running 10Gb Ethernet. This seems to have hindered adoption rate substantially. I have been recently getting questions like can I connect this server chassis to this switch device. or can I connect future-proof the switch deployment now so that it will handle 10Gb firewalls when we buy those. And we have some older 6509e chassis with SUP-720, which don't seem to be able to support SFP+ linecards easily. this is pretty confusing, so just wondering if someone has found a document covering all the PHY-layer interoperability gotcha's.

I found this link, which shows the different 10Gb cards/modules for the switches:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

And this link, which explains the different L2 connector types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-gigabit_Ethernet

Questions:

1. What is required for 6509e with VS-SUP720-10G to support SFP+ 10Gb connectors? looks like I need a WS-X6708-10G-3C with a special convertor: CVR-X2-SFP10G? will this WS-X6708-10G-3C run with VS-SUP720-10G?

2. In general, can I always adapt a XenPak/X2 connector to a SFP+ connector somehow with a special dual-end cable?

3. Are there any connector types that will not be compatible with each other? Such as Xenpack wont connect to X2. I could read the matrix, but wondering if anyone ran across any that stick out for them?

4. If I have a cable such as this SFP-H10GB-CU5M=  (SFP+ twinax), will that work to connect up a typical server such as HP proliant with an SFP+ NIC, in almost all cases? one reason I ask is that I see the server guys bringing in their SFP+ Direct Copper cables with premade SFP+ ends, and wondering if those will be fine in most cases connecting up to cisco switch side. Or vice versa, if I use the pre-made cisco cable, will it connect to a server NIC? historically, different vendors didn't play nice with regard to these SFP standards. Does this relegate me to pretty much buying cisco SFP+ connectors in some version of fiber, and connect them to the HP-branded SFP+ fiber connectors?

5. what are the future adoption plans for 10GBASE-T (8P8C). It seems like cisco makes a connector (X2-10GB-T), which looks promising. Is anyone using those? Does anyone think that will become the predominate standard in time, like it has for 1GB connections?

Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES

X2-10GB-T is end of life soon

X2-10GB-T is end of life soon.

There is a SFP+ version like

SFP+ 10GBASE-T Direct Attach Media Converter

I have this dilemma too,

I have this dilemma too, particularly point 4:

Can I use SFP-H10GB-CU3M twinax cable to connect my HP Proliant G8/G9 to my Cisco Catalsyt 2960X / 3850?

Or should/can I use the HP equvivalent of the same cable, X242 / J9283B?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

You should (note: "should")

You should (note: "should") be able to use the Cisco SFP twinax parts for this purpose.  Fortunately the 10G standards seem to be fairly much industry standards now so you "likely" - but I won't promise - that it just will work.

Cisco twinax is reasonably priced too, unlike most of their 10G optics.  A 3M twinax from memory is around $100 or so.  So there really isn't much reason to go elsewhere for them (unlike optic modules where you will save very substantially by buying third party approved - perhaps Cisco have seen the light...no pun intended).

Where Cisco are very much missing a product is in the 10G-T copper line.  However with Twinax being priced as low as it is it just makes sense to go Twinax in almost all cases anyway.

Thanks Reuben - twinax is

Thanks Reuben - twinax is indeed fairly priced; the HP cable would cost about the same but I guess I'll stick with the Cisco one as servers tend to be less picky than network devices.

Is there such a thing as approved 3rd party optical modules? I have not worked with Cisco for the last 3-4 years and back then it was really frowned upon. What vendors or certificates should I look for?

10GBase-T is practically nonexistent with Cisco, it would be nice to have but as long as we have twinax I am happy. There is this new thing called multigigabit that works over Cat6 - it can go up to 10Gbps but I have a hunch it will not take off as it should and will end up as another poorly adopted quasi-standard. Some Catalyst 3850 switches support it if you want to look into it.

Views
Helpful
Replies