cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

12.2(25)SEB2 upgrade options

barnabyg1
Level 1
Level 1

We're looking to upgrade IOS and if I understand the somewhat cryptic version numbers, as we're just looking for bug fixes, 12.2(25)SE* would be preferred.

So looking into what is available, I see: 12.2(25)SEE4(ED), but this is deferred with 12.2(44)SE5 recommended instead.

However, 12.2(44)SE5 is deferred too, so 12.2(44)SE6 seems like the next upgrade for us.

Is my interpretation correct?

Secondary to this, I notice the size has jumped to over 10Mb, which pushes it over the free we have on the flash. Presumably this means I'll need to remove the existing IOS on the flash before loading the next one? Is doing this safe?

cheers,

Barnaby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Barnaby,

Thanks. According to the Cisco Software Download page, the latest release for your switch is indeed the 12.2(53)SE. If you are using a switch stack with your 3750, you will have to upgrade all switches in a stack to the same IOS version.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Barnaby,

Can you please tell us what is the type of the device you are seeking an IOS upgrade for?

In general, upgrading to the latest stable version of IOS is recommended. Within the IOS 12.2(SE) track, it seems to be the version 12.2(53)SE.

Removing the older IOS from your FLASH should be safe in general. However, it is always a good practice to make a backup copy of it onto an (T)FTP server before erasing it so that you can revert to it should any problems arise. Also note that upgrading to a 12.2(53)SE IOS will probably require that the bootloader in your switch is upgraded as well. This will happen automatically during the first boot of the new IOS and it will cause the switch to reload one more time before the IOS actually boots up. Watch for all information on the console closely.

Best regards,

Peter

Sorry! The vital details: Catalyst 3750G-24TS.

Hi Barnaby,

Thanks. According to the Cisco Software Download page, the latest release for your switch is indeed the 12.2(53)SE. If you are using a switch stack with your 3750, you will have to upgrade all switches in a stack to the same IOS version.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks very much for the fast response.

Much deserved answer credit given! :-)

Barnaby,

You are heartily welcome.

One more thing, though: I suggest going over the Release Notes starting from the version you are running now up to the version you are about to upgrade to. There may be some additional information about prerequisites to upgrading to a particular version. The documents may be large but probably worth reading. The 12.2(25)SEB was released in 2005 and there may be some important changes made.

The list of Release Notes documents can be found here:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/prod_release_notes_list.html

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card