cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 Router NAT problems

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new 1811 and have configured for internet access using SDM. I can't access the internet from any of my internal ports. From my WAn port I can ping my gateway but not the internet. From my internal ports, I can ping the WAn on the router, but not the next hop gateway (my ISP router).

I just need it to work as a router, no firewall options, as it sits behind the ISP router.

I have 4 VLANS as well as the native.

It may seem obvious, I am not great on Cisco, I followed the tech notes and SDM to the letter, the damn thing just wont work (I have spent all day on it).

There may be some obvious things I didn't do, there you go, Cisco is so user friendly, I must have missed it...:>)

If anyone has any "oh, you just need to add this line and it will wor" moments, then pleae let me know...

If anyone is prepared to have a look at my config, please let me know, I will upload it tomorrow (CET).

Thanks,

NM

21 Replies 21

OK, I now have internet on the native VLAN 192.168.1.0, in that I can ping external addresses.

However, I have no DNS, so something amiss. Forwarders not working somewhere.

Last pice of the puzzle. Please help !

Neil

Have you configured the DNS server?

The command is ip name-server IPADDR_DNS_SERVER

Hello Neil,

As Lucien has correctly pointed out, if you want the command line on your router to resolve names to IP addresses, you need to configure the

ip name-server DNS_IP_ADDRESS

ip domain-lookup

in your router. This command applies only to your router, however - not to your clients. If you want your router to also serve as a DNS server for your PC workstations, then add also this command:

ip dns server

and then set your clients to use the IP address of your router as the DNS server.

Regarding the ACL 1 - it is not presently used in your configuration so I suggest removing it because it is currently confusing to have two identical ACLs with only one being used.

Best regards,

Peter

At last !!

I seem to have internet now, thank you so much guys.

I am not able to test the trunk port, do you envisage any problem there of the vlans having issues ?

Current show run, btw

Neil,

You have created and configured the VLAN interfaces but did you create the VLANs themselves? When you issue the command

show vlan-switch brief

do you see all the necessary VLANs?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi, Peter.

Well, I thought I had created the VLANS. I have sent the router to the customer now, so when the connect it I may have to go in remotely and correct this if it's an issue.

What commands do I need to add now ?

Neil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card