Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

1811w trunking to either an HP Procurve or Nortel Baystack

I have an 1811w that is doing my edge.  It has an 8 port switch embedded in it.  It is doing some interior routing (one vlan, several IP subnets) using one of these interfaces.  I want to increase bandwidth to this routing engine from the 100mb it has right now.

I have two options with the equipment I have.

1) Setup several of the 1811w's ports to trunk up to a Nortel Baystack 470

2) Setup several of the 1811w's ports to trunk up to a HP Procurve 2510

Does anyone have a sample config or some hints as to the best way to approach this problem without buying extra hardware?   I do plan on upgrading our core switches to Cisco products down the road.  At this time, I will be doing the interior routing on the core, and use the edge router for just internet routing.  This is down the road, and I need to "band aid" the problem before we go that route.

Thanks

Mike

Everyone's tags (4)
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: 1811w trunking to either an HP Procurve or Nortel Baystack

Mike,

The 1800 ISR will not provide line rate speed out of its 100Mbps port. According to the document below:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

you are looking at 35Mbps with minimum services enabled.

If you want 100Mbps and Layer3 services, I suggest looking at a switch product switch as 3560 or 3750.

Regards,

Edison

Edison:

You mean there is no way I can increase bandwidth to that machine?

Hall of Fame Super Blue

vtm-cisco wrote:

Edison:

You mean there is no way I can increase bandwidth to that machine?

As Edison says, not with that router. To get that sort of throughput you either need to spend a lot of money on a router or more realistically look into a L3 switch.

Jon

Ok, that's unfortunate.  I guess this speeds up our plans to go to a new switching platform!

Views
Helpful
Replies