cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811w trunking to either an HP Procurve or Nortel Baystack

Mike Elliott
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1811w that is doing my edge.  It has an 8 port switch embedded in it.  It is doing some interior routing (one vlan, several IP subnets) using one of these interfaces.  I want to increase bandwidth to this routing engine from the 100mb it has right now.

I have two options with the equipment I have.

1) Setup several of the 1811w's ports to trunk up to a Nortel Baystack 470

2) Setup several of the 1811w's ports to trunk up to a HP Procurve 2510

Does anyone have a sample config or some hints as to the best way to approach this problem without buying extra hardware?   I do plan on upgrading our core switches to Cisco products down the road.  At this time, I will be doing the interior routing on the core, and use the edge router for just internet routing.  This is down the road, and I need to "band aid" the problem before we go that route.

Thanks

Mike

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

The 1800 ISR will not provide line rate speed out of its 100Mbps port. According to the document below:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

you are looking at 35Mbps with minimum services enabled.

If you want 100Mbps and Layer3 services, I suggest looking at a switch product switch as 3560 or 3750.

Regards,

Edison

Edison:

You mean there is no way I can increase bandwidth to that machine?

vtm-cisco wrote:

Edison:

You mean there is no way I can increase bandwidth to that machine?

As Edison says, not with that router. To get that sort of throughput you either need to spend a lot of money on a router or more realistically look into a L3 switch.

Jon

Ok, that's unfortunate.  I guess this speeds up our plans to go to a new switching platform!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card