boban-petrovic
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1841 with image file c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25f.bin

Is IPsec supported in this image?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Boban,

Yes, the version what you have should be fine to run IPSec tunnels.
I have the following c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T6.bin and running both IPSec and GRE tunnels.
For your information make sure you have AIM card to handle the compression load without effecting the original CPU.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

Sure. It does

Toshi

Hi Boban,

Yes, the version what you have should be fine to run IPSec tunnels.
I have the following c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T6.bin and running both IPSec and GRE tunnels.
For your information make sure you have AIM card to handle the compression load without effecting the original CPU.

Regards,
Naidu.

I need to establish two GRE over IPsec tunnels, with not more than 4 Mbits/s totall traffic, I believe that original CPU performance shouldn't be too much degraded without AIM card.

Thanks for the answer.

Hmmm, when you are going to establish GRE over IPSec tunnels then the encryption traffic will be increased so that the load on CPU will be high.

If you dont have much routing and PBR on the router and having only VPN traffic then it is ok that can be manage.

But if you want run both like more routing part and vpn then I would suggest to have a seperate AIM card on it.

I think your router must have onboard AIM card, can you check that in show version...

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 238592K/23552K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ1037221F
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

Regards,
Naidu.

Two of my 1841 routers with IP base software don't have onboard VPN module:

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ1323C0P6

6 FastEthernet interfaces

A router with Advanced IP services software have it:

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ124492H1

6 FastEthernet interfaces

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

There will bo no PBR, only few static routes and OSPF process in the background, besides two GRE over IPsec tunnels with not more than 4Mb/s total traffic. Can it handle that? Which percentage of CPU utilization should be concerned as not stable or dangerous?

Ok, if there is not much PBR or routing then you are fine.
Untill you reach 50 or 60% percentage of CPU you will be running good.
You can consider crosing 70 or 80% would be dangeour.

Don't consider the CPU spikes which there will be at times like touching 90% these spike will be there because some process taking high at that moment.

Regards,
Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card