Helpful
Replies

1921 15Mbps high speed WAN question and suitability

kgreenway
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on router suitability for the following scenario:

I require an inter vlan router to route approx 200 devices consisting of 150x PC's (Physical & Virtual) and 50x IP Phones.  There will only be a maximum of 5x VLANs.  The router will be primarily used for inter VLAN routing as well as routing to the outside world.  Potentially we may add some ACL's for protecting inter VLAN traffic, but that's basically it. 

The router will be connected to the outside via ethernet and a Cisco ASA 5505.  The ASA will provide NAT/Firewall/QoS and packet shaping functionality.  The ASA 5505 is connecting to the outside via cable modem providing 80Mbps down/20Mbps up.

I'd like to understand if the 1921 is suitable for this task specification wise, in addition to confirming the following statement which appears on the datasheet:

'The Cisco 1900 Series enables deployment in high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 15 Mbps.'
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

I assume the above statement is is only effective when used in conjunction with a HWIC and not relevant in my scenario where connection will be via Ethernet and the ASA5505/Cable modem?

The other reason for querying this is a supplier is trying to push me towards a 2911, due to in their opinion that the 1921 is under spec'd for our requirements? 

I'd really like to hear some honest answers on this.  I've seeked some advice elsewhere and had some mixed opinions.  I'm more than happy to  go with a 2911 if it's going to be better suited for our needs, but I really don't see how a 1921 won't be suited for our needs?

TIA

Kevin

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The router will be connected to the outside via ethernet and a Cisco ASA 5505.  The ASA will provide NAT/Firewall/QoS and packet shaping functionality.  The ASA 5505 is connecting to the outside via cable modem providing 80Mbps down/20Mbps up.

This doesn't make any sense.  Your router has a link to your ISP and your ASA has a link to your modem  (which has a link to your ISP).  

Can you please provide a network diagram about what you are planning to do?

Apologies, when I read back it does sound rather confusing.

See attached diagram, hopefully this makes more sense now..

Thx

Is the cable modem doing any NAT-ing? 

What is the router doing in the picture?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might find the attachment of interest.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card