Views
Helpful
Replies

2 ISP 1 Router,2 static NAT entries will be pointing to 1 private address

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have 2 ISP & it is connected to 1 Router, now my requirement is like this, i have 1 Private IP which will hav a 2 Static NAT(1 with ISP-1 & the other with ISP-2) my idea is.... even if 1 ISP fails the host name should get resolved with the other IP so that my server which is residing inside my office(private) will be reachable from the internet. so i was assuming with the DNS it is possible by setting up the priority for 1st IP & if that failz the DNS will look for the 2nd IP, is that correct what i am said?

eg.

if someone tries abc.co.in 1st it will lookin for 1.1.1.1(public IP)------>192.168.1.1(private) & if 1.1.1.1 ISP is down, with the DNS config. it should lookin for the 2nd ISP based on the priority like

2.2.2.2(public IP)------>192.168.1.1.

i think static NAT can also be configured with the priority kind of thing, i belive. am i right?

Static NAT entry on my router would be like this...

1.1.1.1------>192.168.1.1 high priority

2.2.2.2------>192.168.1.1 low priority

is that possible in the router for NAT priority?

or else suggest me where i should still able to reach my webserver or FTP server which is residing in my LAN private IP(residing behind firewall)

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

thankz amit,

but for my requirement should i use "Equal Access" or "Differing Next Hops", i am not clear with the exact meaning. can u explain for these two? & also in that example. which is the public & private IP address.

You should typically use Differeing next hops but in your scenario the config will be slightly different. You have to use only one route map statement with 2 next hop IP's. For example

access-list 1 permit ip 1.1.1.1

route-map ABC permit 10

match ip address 1

set ip next-hop 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3

In this case when the prefeered ISP is down, the traffic from the host will be sent using the another ISP address.

HTH,

-amit singh

thankz amith,

but what is 1.1.1.1 ip address, is that much webserver or ftp server private ip address? is 2.2.2.2 is ISP-1's public IP & 3.3.3.3 is ISP-2's IP am i right?

also one more thing,

i should do a static NAT & then the above config. i should enter? or else the above entry alone will be sufficient?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card