Views
Helpful
Replies

2 routing protocols exchanging routes

iamtheone12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have 2 networks connected in corporate environment.

One network is running EIGRP.

The other is running rip version 2.

I have a border router running both eigrp and rip -2.

How do i make these 2 networks exchange routes ?

I do not want to configure a static route from one network to the other.

I heard you can redistribute eigrp into RIP network and RIP into Eigrp network.

If so,How do you do that..i tried a few things in packet tracer,but it doesnt work.

regards,

Arjun Das

Engineer-Network

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Here you are:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml

Very good explaining redistribution among different protocols.

Nik

Hope this helps.

HTH,
Niko

View solution in original post

Right that is just simple example of how that can be done. However Arjun I would encourage you to study routing and then redistribution once more carefully. Even if someone share the config with you you will still need to support it, troubleshoot problems and make changes when needed. Without understanding on how it works you'll be in trouble.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Arjun,

The five values you are referencing when redistributing into EIGRP are:

redistribute rip metric

Keep in mind that reliability and load are not determining factors in updating the routing table but are calculated if another metric triggers a routing update. (i.e. the bandwidth of the interface or the delay change dramatically).

In regards to HOW you choose the metrics it depends on your environment and how much you trust the devices participating in RIP and if there is a competing EIGRP route for the same networks being advertised via RIP. However, if you only have a single path into the devices/networks participating in RIP it really shouldn't matter what those values are as that path will or should always be chosen.

If you are set on providing values for these options bandwidth should be entered in kbps (10000 = 10 Mbps), delay in tens of microseconds (100 = 1 ms), reliability from 0-255 (255 totally reliable), load from 1-255 (255 = totally saturated) and MTU in bytes. Bandwidth and delay should be easy to identify via the output of "sh int".

In every instance I've ever seen this used it's been as a 'temporary' solution during a transition to either OSPF or EIGRP end to end.

Hope this helps.

7 Replies 7

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Here you are:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml

Very good explaining redistribution among different protocols.

Nik

Hope this helps.

HTH,
Niko

hi nikolay,

i read the document.for some reason...i am not being able to understand it.if i provide the PT lab will you have a look at it?

regards,

arjun

Arjun,

You will redistribute on your router that has both eigrp and rip configured. Let's say that it's RouterA:

RouterA:

router rip

redistribute eigrp 100 metric 10

router eigrp 100

redistribute rip metric 1 1 1 1 1

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Right that is just simple example of how that can be done. However Arjun I would encourage you to study routing and then redistribution once more carefully. Even if someone share the config with you you will still need to support it, troubleshoot problems and make changes when needed. Without understanding on how it works you'll be in trouble.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hi Guys,

Thanks.the only problem i am having is to understand on what basis you are selecting the metric.

For example:

router rip

redistribute eigrp 100 metric 10

Here metric 10 was selected on what basis.I know rip has 15 hops as maximum hop count.So how do you relate this .

then again:

router eigrp 100

redistribute rip metric 1 1 1 1 1

On what basis the 5 vlaues in the metric are chosen ?

The document provided just gives examples of how to advertize.But it doesnt throw any light on how the metrics are to be selected on the basis of routing protocols.

Arjun,

The five values you are referencing when redistributing into EIGRP are:

redistribute rip metric

Keep in mind that reliability and load are not determining factors in updating the routing table but are calculated if another metric triggers a routing update. (i.e. the bandwidth of the interface or the delay change dramatically).

In regards to HOW you choose the metrics it depends on your environment and how much you trust the devices participating in RIP and if there is a competing EIGRP route for the same networks being advertised via RIP. However, if you only have a single path into the devices/networks participating in RIP it really shouldn't matter what those values are as that path will or should always be chosen.

If you are set on providing values for these options bandwidth should be entered in kbps (10000 = 10 Mbps), delay in tens of microseconds (100 = 1 ms), reliability from 0-255 (255 totally reliable), load from 1-255 (255 = totally saturated) and MTU in bytes. Bandwidth and delay should be easy to identify via the output of "sh int".

In every instance I've ever seen this used it's been as a 'temporary' solution during a transition to either OSPF or EIGRP end to end.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone.I got it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card