Views
Helpful
Replies

2611 terminal issues

SoBe8503md
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I just got a cisco 2611, but I can not hyper-term into it. I'm getting a display of the bootup sequence, but it wont accept any keystrokes. I triple checked all the settings (9600, 8, N, 1), even varried the baud rate and emulation, but still nothing. Can anyone help??

Thanx!

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Check to make sure your handshake / flow control is set to none (i.e., no hardware handshake, no software handshake).

Good Luck

Scott

Flow control is set to none. Is hyperterminal the best choice? I've always used that in the academy classes and it worked fine.

Mike

While I believe that Hyperterm is adequate (and many of us use it - at least sometimes) I know of very few people who would say it is the best choice. There are many other alternatives which do a better job. Some people use putty (especially good for SSH connections), and some use Tera Term (both of these are free ware). And there are a number of commercial offerings. I am generally use SecurCRT if given a choice and there are many others.

But having said that, I doubt that Hyperterm is the source of your problem. If you are sure that Hyperterm is configured correctly (including flow control) then we need to look for something else.

My first suggestion would be to check cable and PC port. If you connect to other Cisco devices does the connection work ok? Or if you try a different cable does it make a difference? I have seen situations where there was a connectivity problem and the receive leads would work but the transmit leads would not work.

My next suggestion would be the possibility that the console was configured with no exec (I have seen more than a couple of people configure no exec when they thought that they were turning off exec-timeout). If the router has an aux port you might try connecting to the aux port and see if you can get in. Or try telnetting to the router and see if you can access it. As a last resort I would try passsword recovery to ignore the config file and see if it will let you in to the router.

And of course we should consider the possibility that there is a hardware problem on the console port.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card