Views
Helpful
Replies

2620xm Fastethernet Not Working

Farhan Qureshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am having a strange behavior with my 2 x 2620xm routers fastethernet ports.

When I connect my laptop (Win7) to the 2620xm fastethernet port directly, I am not been able to get any PING response back from it even tough the port is up/up. The only clue I can see from show interface is the incremental of lost carrier but the cable's (straight and cross) I am using all working which I have already tested on my other 3640 routers.

Anyone have seen this type of issue before and can help me pin-point?

I hope its not a hardware issue as both of my 2 x 2620xm started to act like this almost one month apart.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Farhan

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the interlace goes to up and up mode than you should not hardware issues.  Try hard setting the port to 100 on the router and test again.  Also, if you are pinging from the router to your laptop, make sure there is no firewall software on the laptop blocking ping.

HTH

Hi Reza

I have already tried all options of 100/10 plus half/full-duplex on router and on laptop too but with no success.

Also no firewall too on machine as  I have verified through 3640 on that part.

Really clueless as even test interface fa0/0 shows successful result.

Regards,

Farhan

Hi Farhan,

Can you post the output of "sh ip int brief" and also "sh run"?

Also, when you disconnect your laptop from the router the port goes down right?

Hi Reza

Attach is the output file.

The ports shows as up/down with no cable connected.

Don't know, i have a funny feeling this might be related to IOS.

Appreciate your feedback.

Farhan

My first suggestion is that connecting a PC to a 2620 I would use a known good cross over cable.

I have looked through the config that you posted and it seems quite straightforward and I do not see anything in it that would explain the symptoms that you describe. I would suggest that you try these steps and post the appropriate outputs:

- connect the PC again and verify that the router interface goes to up/up.

- ping from router to PC.

- ping from PC to router.

- on router post the output of show arp (looking to verify that there is layer 2 connectivity).

- on PC post the output of arp -a (looking to verify that there is layer 2 connectivity).

- on PC post the output show ipconfig /all.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Already have used crossed and straight in between laptop and routers but no fruitful results. Configured the static IP on end machine to rule out dhcp as IP was not getting assigned.

I have attached the output as you requested.

Seeing all those interfaces counter, now I am more certain that its related to hardware as I remember I never manipulated any settings of interfaces.

I have also tested by connecting both 2620xm back to back using cross on Fa0/0 but the results are same even though ports are up/up on both ends.

Until I became clueless so had to pop-up a discussion here.

Regards,

Farhan 

Farhan,

In the output for the router the interface IP is

But I don't see this IP range configured in the output from the PC.

Can you check?

or I missed it

Farhan

I was able to read the file with output from the PC but the file with output from the router appears to be empty.

Good catch by Reza on the mismatch of IP address between the PC and the router. That would explain the lack of arp entries and the inability to ping. That kind of mismatch was the reason for requesting the output of ipconfig from the PC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick, Reza

My humble apologizes for the confusion.

Configs will be like this,

=========================================
2620XM-R2

interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address 199.1.1.254 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto

ip dhcp pool POOL
   network 199.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 199.1.1.254 

2620XM-R1

interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address 199.1.1.253 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto

ip dhcp pool POOL
   network 199.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 199.1.1.253
=========================================

I used the same subnet on both routers for ease on end machine static IP and also for the back-to-back testing in betwee R1 and R2.

Spend whole night smacking my head on wall for this and couldn't get any where.

Regards,

Farhan

Hi Farhan,

Can you exclude 199.1.1.254 address from the DHCP pool and test again?

this example excludes 5 IPs

ip dhcp excluded-address 199.1.1.250. 199.1.1.254

Thanks,

Reza

Hi Reza

I can exclude the IP's you have mentioned but I have already given a try by using non-DHCP subnet on Fa0/0 ports when doing back-to-back. This subnet was not part of any routing too.

Example, I used 100.1.1.0/24 in between R1-Fa0/0 [100.1.1.1/24] and R2-Fa0/0 [100.1.1.2/24].

Some how this freaky thing doesn't work.

Regards,

Farhan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: