Views
Helpful
Replies

2651 to 2801 migration

jpodplesky
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

I have a 2651 that has an adsl1-wic that I am using as my DSL router. I recently acquired a 2801 that I want to replace the 2651 with. I configured the 2801 the same way as the 2651 but on a reload I get the statement that says

Setup: New interface NVIO placed in shutdown state

When I do a show interface all of the interfaces show up except the NVIO and I don't have any connectivity to the outside world. I am using Nat since I have a /29 and using  nat pool overload. What am I missing? I am running IPVOICEK9-M 12.4.25c on the 2651 and adventerprise 12.4.24.T on the 2801

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What type of DSL card it that?

Do you have the part number?

see table-2 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028aa5a_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH

wic-1adsl

I had this card running in another router I have for a short time, a 3725 running adventerprise. I can post configs if that would help

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is the interface in up and line protocol down state? Or is administratively down and down? Have you told ISP that you've changed the router?

Eugen

NVIO is administratively down, when I boot the router right before the interfaces change state it says Setup: interface NVIO is placed in shutdown state. From the searching I have done, it has to do with nat. If I do a show interface it says NVIO is administratively down. I have not had to tell the ISP anytime before that I have changed routers. I have a business class dsl with a block of 8 /29. I will gather some screen shots tomorrow and post

Hi,

Few more questions....

Looks like is a hardware problem.

Is the 2801 router a new unit, or refurbished? If it is refurbished did you clear away any configuration files except the IOS?

Did you try to fit the WIC into the other slot?

If you can capture the info from boot and post it may help.

Eugen

PS. I have found this link. It may explain your problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_tech_note09186a008071a53d.shtml

Hi Eugen,

This is a repurposed unit, meaning it was in service and I pulled it from a working environment. I replaced the CF with blank, larger reformatted unit and downloaded the IOS from the rommon prompt

I found this article which states the WIC-1ADSL card is compatible with the 2801

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028aa5a_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I'll post a boot sequence

Looks like I got it to work. I removed the ip nat inside statement from interface fa0/0 This is my development/learning network. I used to have the 2651 doing the Nat and a while back I added an ASA 5510 so I modified the 2651 config to have the dialer use unnumbered and fed a public IP to the outside interface of the ASA. I duplicated the 2651 config over to the 2801. Once I removed the ip nat inside statement the NVIO interface came up. I checked the static nats and they all seem to work. Like I said I am learning and studying for the CCNA and others...

Next step is to see if I can move my CME installation that is currently running on a 3725 over to the 2801 as well, the whole reason for obtaining the 2801 to replace both the 2651 and the 3725

Thanks for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card