Views
Helpful
Replies

2691 Router Error

kcgeorge1218
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Could anyone please tell me why this happens everytime I do a 'wr mem' on a C2691 router with 32MB flash. Running 12.3(5d) code.

*Mar 1 00:04:41.811: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

% Warning: Saving this config to nvram may corrupt any network management or sec

urity files stored at the end of nvram.

Continue? [no]: y

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted[OK]

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi George,

Can you please try the following?

Router#config t

Router(config)#service compress-config

Router(config)#exit

Router#wr mem

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Ankur

I have had some routers with that symptom and in my experience it was not an issue with config file size (and if there is an issue with config file size I believe that the error message is different). So I am not optimistic that service compress-config will change these symptoms.

I believe that there are a couple versions of IOS that exibit this behavior. When confronted with this message I have saved the config anyway and have never had problems where the router found anything corrupted that pervented its functioning.

I believe that the best way to deal with this problem is to upgrade to a newer version of code (that is what I did to make the error message stop - and I found it quite effective).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi George ,

Meaning of the error messages is as below.

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted

The software detected that the configuration saved into NVRAM has overlaid a part of the NVRAM that is occupied by nonconfiguration data files. Typically, these files are used by SNMP to store and retrieve nonconfiguration persistent data across a system reload.

Recommended Action: Compress the configuration, and copy to Flash memory.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.

Thanks,

Satish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card