Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2811 and hwic-4esw question

remote side topology is:

fa0/1 of 2811 is metroE service

fa0/0 of 2811 is defined with subinterfaces and connected to a 2950.

fa0/0.1 mgmt vlan

fa0/0.8 wireless

fa0/0.10 user subnet

we are adding the hwic-4esw-ilp to the 2811s for poe for the APs there.

we have redefined vlan 1 and vlan 8 as SVIs on the 2811 and have the APs working.

the 2950 is not reachable now, it is addressed on vlan 1. And we do need to keep the 2950 there.

My question is, is there a way to get the svi vlan 1 to work over fa0/0.1 and make the 2950 reachable?

From scanning some of the posts in the forum, my guess is no, and we would have to move the 2950

to one of the hwic ports configured as a trunk. Moving the 2950 to one of the hwic ports isn't necessarily a

problem, we're just trying to get a consistent deployment model (over 60 sites).

Looking at docs and some of the posts, it doesn't seem there is a way to get an svi vlan over onto

one of the built-in phy interfaces.

Thanks in advance - chris

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Chris

As far as i know it is an either/or choice ie. either use an SVI and connect to the hwic or use a subinterface on one of the onboard router ports. I don't think you can use both and have that as the same vlan.

I don't whether you could use bridging to bridge the SVI and the subinterface together as i have never tested it but even if it did it would be a lot of extra config and complexity if you have the option of simply connecting the 2950 to one of the hwic ports especially as you could simply make the connection a trunk link so you would not be limited on ports.

Jon

Jon,

I appreciate the response. That's kinda the conclusion I was coming to anyway, is just moving the 2950 link to the hwic.

Not a problem doing that, but just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some silly command or something that I was missing.

Thanks again - chris

Views
Helpful
Replies