Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 Router Console problem

fasi25300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am using cisco 2811 router for my lab it was working last night perfectly . morning time I just start my router and its not showing any thing on terminal window. no keys working even all fans working continously but no any fan is down on that time. I dun know how figureout this problem .

I use these troubleshootings.

1 - Baurt value change setting

2-  Console cable change

3-  used different kind of terminal softwares

4-  its not going on Romon mode

when I power off the router its just sho0ws the garbage values nothing else. I tried above solutions but didnot find any solution now please any body know about this problem please guide me will be very thankfull to you for this kindness

Many thanks in advance

M, Faisal

25 Replies 25

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like a config register value issue and the console port speed has been changed.  Try multiple speed settings starting at 2400 baud ,then 4800 , 9600 , 19200, 38400,  double each setting up to 115200  and see if you get any response . If you finally get a response change the config register setting to either 0x2101 or 0x2102 .

Hi Glen

how are you thanx for your reply well I tried all baud values but its not showing any thing on console port even I can't use my kyeboard on console window. when I close my router it shows some garbage values nothing else i dunknow what is the fault please guide me .

regards

Muhammad Faisal

Muhammad ,

Are you using serial cable (9 pin) or USB to connect to your PC/Labtop?

If it is USB, usually the com port is 3 or 4 so try different com ports. try 1 through 5

HTH

Hi Reza

thanks for your reply. well I am using serial to USB cable and I have tried all ports 3 4 5 but the result is the same . even I tried to use this cable to other router and switches and its work fine .

Hi Muhammad ,

If you are sure that the cable is good, you are connected to the right Com port and your baud rate is correct, then turn off the router completely and wait a couple of minutes, connect the consol cable to the router and then turn it back on.  Let us know what happens

HTH

Hi Reza

Still the same problem but when ever I power down the router I can see garbage values nothing else console is showing connected but console window I can't type and use any key.

thanks

Muhammad,

Most of the time when you see garbage on the screen, the issue is the baud rate.

So, start from 9600 which is default and go up to 115200

Make sure evey time you change the baud rate to discoonect and reconnect. If you don't, the baud rate change will not be effective.  If you can use, Secure CRT or Putty which is free.

HTH

Reza

well I am using Teraterm for this connectivity do you mean that I nead to plug and unplug console cable every time when I am chaning the baud value ?

Yes, do that.  If you can use Putty, it is better application and free on the Internet, but Tera Term is fine too.

No worries about the fans noise right now]

HTH

Hi,

Try to access with putty with different baud rates and also enable flowcontrol and check.

Since the cable is working with other devices,cable is not an issue.

Regards,

Guru

reza

and more thing like when I start router previously all fans running for 2 mins and then noise of fans came down but now all fans running continiosly and its noise is not comming down .

Reza

I have checked all the step you said and still the same problem ...

Can you turn it off, wait for 10 minutes, connect the cable to it, tun it back on and post the output here?

reza

Now it shows nothing just cursor is blanking nothing else previously it was showing garbage value when I poweroff the router but now console window is completely blank.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card