Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hello,

I have this situation now: in point A, I have UC 560, switch 3560 v2 PoE 48, 2 Cisco Ip phones ; in point B, I have switch 3560 v2 PoE 48, 2 Cisco Ip phones. All equipment is configured and functional; the switches are connected through straight cable, between fa 0/2. Vlan's are configured too; interface fa 0/2 (3560) trunked.

Instead of connecting cable, I'll have a radionetwork. The ends of this radionet are in different subnets, but one are the same with one 3560(the one connected with UC 560). So, I'll need to interpose two 2901. Please tell me the settings for these routers.

Regards,

Adrian

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Adrian

Thank you for that. I have no idea how the radio stations are doing that as the end points are on different networks.

That is why i asked Rick to join in because i think he has a better understanding of bridging than me. If it was just L2 switching or L3 routing it would make more sense to me.

Rick has posted into this discussion, thanks Rick, so i think i will leave it to him otherwise it will get a bit crowded. I think from what you have posted it should be relatively easy to setup but like i say i think Rick would be the best for this.

Jon

View solution in original post

Adrian

Here are the important parts of the configuration of the 2901 routers. I do not know how you have your 3560 switches configured other than that they have both vlans configured and have a trunk interface configured. That should be able to work with the router. If the switches have any IP addresses configured or have any routing configured then that might be something that could need adjusting. But for now I am going to assume that the switch configuration is simple and just has the vlan configuration and the trunk configuration.

For this to work there need to be different subnets/networks at point A and point B. So I am going to assume these networks but you could change them to different networks if you want.

point A                                 point B

192.168.10.0  vlan 10            192.168.11.0 vlan 10

10.0.10.0       vlan 20             10.0.11.0      vlan 20

192.168.5.0   router to radio   192.168.6.0  router to radio

2901 A

config t

interface gig0/0

description connect to radio

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

interface gig0/1

description connect to switch

no shut

interface gig0/1.10

description data vlan

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

interface gig0/1.20

description voice vlan

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip address 10.0.10.1 255.255.255.0

! add routes for subnets at point B

ip route 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.5.2

ip route 10.0.11.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.5.2

2901 B

config t

interface gig0/0

description connect to radio

ip address 192.168.6.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

interface gig0/1

description connect to switch

no shut

interface gig0/1.10

description data vlan

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip address 192.168.11.1 255.255.255.0

interface gig0/1.20

description voice vlan

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip address 10.0.11.1 255.255.255.0

! add routes for subnets at point B

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.6.2

ip route 10.0.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.6.2

You would need to set up the radios for these addresses and to route these subnets. And you would need to be sure that the devices connected to the switches have their default gateway set to the corresponding address on their vlan on the router.  When those things are doine I believe that this should work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

40 Replies 40

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adrian

I understand this is an urgent issue for you but to keep posting the same question in multiple different threads is not helping anyone.  I am going to try and tidy this up but as far as i can see you have posted this question three times and you are also asking the same question in a different thread.

Please don't do this. CSC is a forum to help but the people who respond do it in their own free time so you have to be patient.

Anyway on to your specific problem. As Reza mentioned in one of your postings the 3560 switches could do the routing or you can use 2900 routers if you want.

The main question though, and you need to anwser this, is you say each end of the link is in a different subnet. That means the radio stattions would need to route between subnets.

Are they capable of this ?

I would have thought you would have both ends in the same subnet and then radio link is simply a L2 connection. Can you confirm whether this is the case ?

Until we know whether the link is L2 or L3 we cannot really help you.

Jon

Thank you,

Yes, the radiolink is an L2 type. Radios are capable to route between subnets. And yes, I would have the ends in the same subnet, because the 3560's are in the same subnet.

Regards,

Adrian.

And, sorry for the mistakes.

Are the rado stations connections ethernet ?

If so you could just use the 3560 switches ie.

3560_1

======

int gi0/1 <--- this connects to radio station at one end

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.252

3560_2

======

int gi0/1

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.2 255.255.255.252

then you need to make sure each switch has routes for the other switch;s vlans. You can do this a dynamic routing protocol or you can use static routes if there aren't many vlans.

If you want to use routers then you would need to

1) connect each router to the corresponding 3560 switch using a L3 link

2) connect each router's WAN inteface to the radio station and then configure a point to point link using a /30 subnet, as in the example i gave above.

Jon

Yes, radios connections are ethernet, but there is a problem: station A are in subnet 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0 and station B are in 192.168.6.0 255.255.255.0; so,I must use2901 for routing?

They cannot be different subnets if the link is L2.

I think there is some confusion here. Can you draw a quick diagram showing the 3560s the radio stations and the IP addresses ?

I suspect what you mean is that the subnet on the 3560 you attach the radio station to is in different subnets but that is why i gave you the configuration above ie. to make the same subnet on either end.

Edit - do you have a specific reason why you want to use the routers ? 

If it is only because you need to route your 3560s will do that.

Jon

Ok, so the radio link is an equivalent to L3?......ok.....they're Harris Falcon 3 Multiband Networking Radios. I connected a laptop to each ethernet radio cable. One laptop was 192.168.5.1/255.255.255.0 and the other one 192.168.6.1/255.255.255.0. Radios are 192.168.5.2 and 192.168.6.2. Traffic between laptops are fully functional (pings, file transfer , all stuff). Now, I want to disconnect ethernet radios cables from laptops and plugin into 3560 interfaces wich are already configures for straight cable connection. But, there is no traffic between switches. So, I think I need routers. Ok. At this moment, I must to tell you yhat the VoIP network is not my creation. I have it with straight cable between switches, but now distance is to high and I must use radios. I have 2901 routers, but I don't know how to configure it. They are brand new. Time is too short for me to begin learning Cisco, so I therefore appeal to you. I attach a simple diagram to better understand (sorry for the simplicity).

Regards,

Adrian. SITE       A                 example_pagenumber.001.jpg

Adrian

Ok, so the radio link is an equivalent to L3?......ok.....they're Harris Falcon 3 Multiband Networking Radios

I don't know, that is what i was asking you.

You keep talking about using routers. If it isn't working with L3 switches then using routers won't make any difference. L3 switches do route (or more precisely L3 switch).

If the laptops worked then i t sounds like the radio stations can route between subnets but i didn;t think they could.

When you plug the radio stations into your switches do the interfaces show as up/up ?

Jon

Jon,

To configure a router or switch with the L3  is the same for me. I do not know how to do this. I'll use what you say. The radios have router tables, RIP possibility and EIGRP and static routes possibility. I'll send you 3 images with some features of this radios. Interfaces show as up only for radios in same subnet with switch.

AdrianDoc1_pagenumber.001.jpgDoc2_pagenumber.001.jpg

Doc3_pagenumber.001.jpg

Adrian

If the radio stations have routing tables etc. then just ignore the previous configuration i sent you.

I think it is just a queston of routing tables rather than anything else.

So what vlans do you have on each 3560 switch. From each switch can you post -

1) "sh ip int br"

2) "sh ip route"

Jon

Jon,

sorry for that but i'm not in the same location with equipments now. But I teel you: I have 2 vlans......1 for data and one vor ip phones. Please feel free to use any IP adressess as an example.

Adrian.

Jon,

you saw the images from radios book?......they actually explain what I'm interested?

Adrian.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adrian

Almost there, just a couple more queries -

1) do you know what feature set you are running on the 3560 switches ?

2) the radio stations look like they can route. So the interface that connects to the switch is going to have an IP address assigned to it.

The radio interface ie. the one that in effect connects to the other radio stattion, do you know if this can be configured with an IP address ?

This is important to know as it is affects the configuration. It may be that the radio station bridges between the inside interface and the radio interface so we wouldn't need a separate subnet between the radio stations.

There will be two static routes per switch and four per radio station. We could use a routing protocol dependant on 1) but it depends on how much bandwidth is supplied by the radio links.

So how much bandwidth is there and would you be okay to use statics if we decided to go that way ?

Jon

Jon,

at 1), I don't know.

2) perfect true. The radio interface that connects to the switch having an IP address assigned to it. The link between radios is a separate network, with specific interfaces,  IP's and protocols. But we are not interested in this network. The radios do all the job.

Believes that radio traffic is flowing between interfaces that are connected to switches. Please remember that this interfaces are, for example, 192.168.5.2/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.6.2/255.255.255.0.

Now we need to extend this  VoIP trough radio network. The bandwith is 5 Mb.

Adrian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card