cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 Integrated Services Router terminal question-

DanielMHussey
Level 1
Level 1

I am VERY new to both Cisco routers AND terminal configuration, but I am not completely ignorant and have been able to configure the interfaces on our 2911 router.

The problem I am having is with setting the username and password for the system (i basically dont know how).  I can still get logged on (I have to boot without the flash card and replace it after its booted, but it works to get me logged in to configure the system)... SO>> with that being said- how, once I am logged in how do I configure the login credntials?

THANKS!

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Daniel

There are several potential answers to the question of how you configure the login credentials and most of them begin with "it depends". It depends on whether you have configured aaa new-model and further depends on how you want it to work:

-  with no aaa new-model configured you should be able to access the console port without any credentials configured (to access user mode).

- with no aaa new-model configured you can configure passwords that will allow remote access to the router that will get you to user mode access. the config might look something like this

line vty 0 5

login

password

- with no aaa new-model configured you may want to configure user accounts and passwords that will get you to user mode access. the config might look something like this

user password

line vty 0 5

login

login local

- or you can use more sophisticated processing of user credentials using aaa new-model. But explanation of this functionality probably goes beyond the scope of this post.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card