cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 with one serial card and 2 hwic-4esw cards

robpeay
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a 2911 with one serial interface card and 2 hwic-4esw cards.  I configured 2 vlans on the router.  the serial card is in slot 0, and the 2 esw's are in slot 1 and 2.  the 4esw in slot 1 works fine.  I can communicate across both vlans with that card.  the second card, has no communication, even though I have the exact same configuration on the ports.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rudy Sanjoko
Level 4
Level 4

In order to use two cards at the same time, you will need to "stack" them. You will need to connect both cards using a crossover cable. So for 2x hwic-4esw, in total you will only have 6 usable ports because two ports are being used to connect/stack these two cards together.

This can be achieved by using switchport stacking-partner command on the interface level.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rudy Sanjoko
Level 4
Level 4

In order to use two cards at the same time, you will need to "stack" them. You will need to connect both cards using a crossover cable. So for 2x hwic-4esw, in total you will only have 6 usable ports because two ports are being used to connect/stack these two cards together.

This can be achieved by using switchport stacking-partner command on the interface level.

robpeay
Level 1
Level 1

Worked like a charm!  thank you sir!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card