cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2924 Switch, no response from console port

duwainewinder
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Catalyst 2924 switch in a home lab.  Both of them have developed the same problem at the same time (strange).  I have tried all that I can think of.  I can  telnet to them but cannot access via the console port.  On a telnet session I execueted a "write erase, reload" on one of them.  As I anticipated this threw me out of the telnet session and I presently have no access to that switch.

The console cable is fine, works for all other devices.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  

15 Replies 15

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What do you see on the console screen when you try to enter into the device? any error messages popping up on screen? blank screen?

One of the things that can produce symptoms similar to what is described here is that the speed of the console port got changed. You might try setting the speed of your terminal emulator to various speeds, starting at 1200, and working up through 2400, 4800 etc.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Agree with Rick. The Baud Rate might have got changed. In this case, if you try to type something on the console, you will see some random characters popping up.

-Sweta

ltjames1934
Level 1
Level 1

I have had that same problem had to chang speed to 9600 anything less or higher I got nothing but a blank screen.

i tried the baud rate changes from 1200 thru 19200, and still got no response.  Black screen on putty.  I can only now telnet to one of the switch, as the 'write erase', 'reload' has cleared the ip address that was used for telnet.

this is frustrating

i can see both switch in cdp neighbor, the one with the ip and the one that was write erased (no ip address).  Both have no console access.

I sympathesize that it is frustrating and would like to find a solution. So here are a couple of things:

- if you connect to the console of one of the switches and power cycle it, do you see any output at all (even non legible characters count) on the console connection?

- from the switch that you can still access, would you post the output of show version?

- from the switch that you can still access would you do a show run and post anything and everything that is configured under line con 0?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard Burts!

Info contained below.

S3#show ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 17:35 by ayounes

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301F3C

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

S3 uptime is 16 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FAB0510Y0V0, with hardware revision 0x01

Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

Cluster command switch capable

Cluster member switch capable

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:05:5E:50:E3:C0

Motherboard assembly number: 73-3382-08

Power supply part number: 34-0834-01

Motherboard serial number: FAB05105173

Power supply serial number: DAB04525S0R

Model revision number: A0

Motherboard revision number: C0

Model number: WS-C2924-XL-EN

System serial number: FAB0510Y0V0

Configuration register is 0xF

S3#

fyi, there is no output, legible or non-legible characters with power cycle.

S3#show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration:

!

version 12.0

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

service password-encryption

!

hostname S3

!

enable secret 5 $1$KOoa$BvgxQSs8XKOEnIopONlBs/

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

!

(EDITED OUT, IN CONSIDERATION OF SPACE)

!

interface FastEthernet0/24

!

interface VLAN1

ip address 192.168.1.7 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

banner login ^C ACCESS RESTRICTED ^C

banner motd ^C AUTHORIZED PERSONEL ONLY ^C

!

line con 0

password 7 05080F1C2243

logging synchronous

transport input telnet

stopbits 1

line vty 0 4

password 7 08334943060D00

login

transport input telnet

line vty 5 15

password 7 08334943060D00

login

transport input telnet

!

end

S3#

Maybe it's not the problem but i'never see transport input telnet on console port, try to remove this and also the loggin synchronus... try to configure only password and login command.

zabeelmusa
Level 1
Level 1

Leave the logging synchronous on as that stops console messages over writing what you type while it scrolls on the screen remove transport inputtelent from console session as leaving this on means the console port should be expecting a telnet connection coming in.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

wow it seems the same who i've written...

Thanks everyone, the "transport input telnet" was originally not there.  I just added it trying different scenarios. Console still doesn't respond; with or without it. 

What should "transport input" be set to?

no transport input anything on line con 0

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco