Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2924XL 11.2(8)SA2

I recently purchased a cisco 2924XL switch to build a home lab in prep for CCNP. Problem is that I can't configure vlans on the switch. I can't get into the vlan database and the only vlan interface that can be configured is vlan 1. There is not set of commands in the CLI IOS for switchport access or trunk.

Am I missing something here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Definetly that version must be one of the first they ever released . I think you will see a lot more functionality with a more up to date version though it won't be up to say 2950 specs and functionality. The diag image can go thats really just there for factory troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

btt

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have never seen one that you couldn't get into the vlan database . The only management interface I believe on those is vlan 1 . At the command prompt when you type "vlan database" what happens ? This would be at the command prompt not config mode. This could be one of the real old 4 meg versions where you were really restricted in functions because it was one of the first switches cisco ever came out with. If you are prepping you would be much better off with a 2950 .

Switch#vlan dat = not recognizable command

From the show version it lists ...

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/1024K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FAA0231Y082, with hardware revisions 0x00

Board ID 0x07

Last reset from power-on

24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configurations memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:90:AB:E5:EB:C0

Configuration registry is 0xF

Its one of the real old 4 meg boxes . Thought those at least had the vlan database and you could create addtional vlans though I don't know what trunking support they had then . Go here and download the last version for the 4 meg box and see if it gives you anything more. Also try typeing the whole word " vlan database" and see if it knows that.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

I don't even know the CLI to remove and replace with newer IOS. copy tftp flash doesn't work on this switch ... and it doesn't even let me use "show flash:"

The ? really doesn't show me a whole lot to help in deciphering what the command is to do this. I see rmdir in there ... which looks like I would use that to take the old IOS out but I don't know the command to see what IOS is in there now (how it is named).

Sounds like it is at the switch: prompt like its missing the IOS altogether, go to here to try and recover . You should be able to just do a "dir flash" if the switch is actually at the command line prompt . These will only hold 1 image in flash so you will have to get rid of the current one if there is one at all before downloading a new one.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

The IOS is there and loading ... at the Switch# prompt when I do dir flash I get the following error ...

%Error parsing flash (No such device)

After messing around with it ... I eventually got to see the flash. I did it with a series of commands by accident ...

Switch#cd flash:

Switch#dir

the following files are in the flash ...

c2900XL-h-mz-112.8-SA2

c2900XL-diag-mz-112.8-SA2

html

env_vars (<--this one is dated Jan 01 1970 :D)

config.text

1728000 bytes total (436224 bytes free)

Should I remove c2900XL-h-mz-112.8-SA2 and replace with SA6? What about the diag image ... do I just leave it in there?

I appreciate the help.

Definetly that version must be one of the first they ever released . I think you will see a lot more functionality with a more up to date version though it won't be up to say 2950 specs and functionality. The diag image can go thats really just there for factory troubleshooting.

I believe ya! Just a little nervous about removing the image and not knowing how to put the newer one in since I am not familar with the CLI on this switch. I don't think there is room for both images at the same time so it is one of those do or die things ... and if I faulter I am not sure if I know how to recover.

Suggestions?

http://www.eastman-watch.cn/cisco-switch-upgrade-method/

This might be relevant ... just found it on a search

First you have to install a TFTP server on your PC . Keep both switch (vlan 1 IP)and PC in same subnet.

You can downlaod tftfd32 from internet.

tftpd32.jounin.net/

Then u can follow steps mentioned in the link u posted.

IF have doubt post

Glen,

I figured it out and got it done. I now have the vlan database and many more modern commands. Thanks and appreciate it.

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card