cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 catalyst switch reboots intermittently, getting signal 10 error

Timothyktech
Level 1
Level 1

System returned to ROM by error -  Signal 10, Exception code (0x0008)!, PC 0x8043B7DC

getting this message when i run the "show version" command. the switch has been working for years, now its is randomly crashing and rebooting. This is obviously a hardware issue right? id like to just replace this switch, and copy the config file to a new switch of the same model. is this the best way to handle the situation? i dont want to spend the money if the problem is software or a bad device on a port. please help me, i dont have much experience trouble shooting cisco devices.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tim,

Certainly, it can be a hardware issue but I don't want to blame the hardware just yet. It may have started because of long uptime, perhaps higher utilization, changed conditions etc.

Upgrading to the latest IOS should not have any negative influence on your current configuration. Of course, making a backup of your current running-config is a sensible precaution. However, replacing the IOS itself will not erase your configuration. Do not perform any format/erase operations, just simply delete the current IOS image from the flash: filesystem and copy the new one using FTP or TFTP.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tim,

This error is most probably a segmentation fault error (sometimes called a bus error) which is usually caused by buggy software. I suggest upgrading to the latest available IOS version, which is 12.1(22)EA14 for 2950 series switches, and observing whether the restarts stop occuring.

Best regards,

Peter

okay ill try that, but would a bug just randomly come after years of good functioning?

right now it is 12.1[11]

if i upgrade the IOS will i lose any of the configurations? i work with a really old company and their equiptment is hell  (half-duplex 10)... which is why i am striding carefully around this issue.

Hi Tim,

Certainly, it can be a hardware issue but I don't want to blame the hardware just yet. It may have started because of long uptime, perhaps higher utilization, changed conditions etc.

Upgrading to the latest IOS should not have any negative influence on your current configuration. Of course, making a backup of your current running-config is a sensible precaution. However, replacing the IOS itself will not erase your configuration. Do not perform any format/erase operations, just simply delete the current IOS image from the flash: filesystem and copy the new one using FTP or TFTP.

Best regards,

Peter

which is 12.1(22)EA14 for 2950 series switches

I thought that EA13 was the last.  Thanks Peter.  +5

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your generous rating! Actually, I was surprised myself to learn that a new 2950 IOS has been released on November 2nd. Let's just hope that this release is not as buggy as the 12.2(55)SE for 2960 series :-\

Best regards,

Peter

Krlitos
Level 1
Level 1
Good morning everyone! I'm running into the same problem of random reboots on a cataly switch. It has already been running for a few years, around 5 years. I would like to be able to investigate the subject and come to a concrete conclusion. I hope I can help your contributions.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card