Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 encapsulation

mahesh-gohil
Level 1
Level 1

dear all,

I had cisco 2950 switch (WS-C2950G-24-EI-DC)with IOS 12.1(22)EA8a.

Now i have created a vlan 233. and made port fe0/24 a trunk port

but it is not taking encapsulation command with "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"

attaching sh run with this

pl. guide

Regards

mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes, that's right.

As I said earlier that 2950 support only 802.1Q trunking protocol, "switchport trunk encap dot1q" won't work under any interface of 2950 switch. hence once you configure "switchport mode trunk" command, it will take 802.1q trunking protocol as thats the only protocol 2950 supports.

Once you are done with the trunk configuration, you can verify that port has taken 802.1q as trunking protocol using "show interface fa0/23 trunk" command.

hope it helps ... rate if it does ...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

abadanhoo
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Hi Mahesh,

Cisco 2950 support only 802.1Q and not ISL trunking protocol, hence 2950 won't take switchport trunk encap dot1q command. Once you have confgured fe0/24 as trunk port, it will take 802.1q as trunking protocol by itself.

you can verify the same by "show interface fe0/24 trunk" command.

dear,

you men to say we don't need to configure any encapsulation and it will take it by default

pl. specify

regards

mahesh

yes, that's right.

As I said earlier that 2950 support only 802.1Q trunking protocol, "switchport trunk encap dot1q" won't work under any interface of 2950 switch. hence once you configure "switchport mode trunk" command, it will take 802.1q trunking protocol as thats the only protocol 2950 supports.

Once you are done with the trunk configuration, you can verify that port has taken 802.1q as trunking protocol using "show interface fa0/23 trunk" command.

Thanks a lot for your support

I was confusing from last one day

anyway regards and Happy new year

Bye

Mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card