Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 IOS Upgrade

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I apologize in advance for what probably is very basic questions. I am new to Cisco and the network side of things

I have a 2950 24 port switch and I wanted to practice updating it's IOS using my TFTP server. It has no config on it currently, I gave vlan1 an IP address and subnet mask. I couldn't ping it after I put it on the network I am wondering if there's anything else I need to configure for my to just get it on the network so that I may play around with it? Also, I'm assuming there's a way to copy the old IOS using a console cable I haven't been able to find anything yet on how to do this I would like to learn that as well if someone could point me in that direction as well.

Thanks,

21 Replies 21

Your switch is a VTP client? VLAN 73 are created on the server?

If the switch is in Server or Transparent mode you need to create the interface VLAN and the Layer2 VLAN in orden to properly function.

switch(config)#vlan 73

switch(config)#name Adm-VLAN (per example)

switch(config)#exit

ok, I gave vlan 73 a name and now when I do show vlan it shows up and is active. We don't use VTP because were not all cisco shop. Not sure if you read all the post but this switch is hooked into a HP switch. I still cannot ping it or from it. I am thinking it has to do with cisco to HP.

I think you have a trunk config issue on the HP side.  I would check to see if vlan 73 is allowed on the trunk on the HP side . On your cisco side you are allowing all vlans  so you don't have a restriction there.

Try adding this:

switch(config)#inter f0/24

switch(config-if)#switchport trunk native-vlan 73

After this try the command show inter trunk and you can see the status of your trunk port, the encapsulation mode and the native vlan.

ok, I made that change and I can see the encapsulation 802.1q and stauts is trunking and the native vlan is 73. sill cannot ping it or ping from switch.

The uplink port to the Cisco switch in the HP switch is in trunk mode and function properly?

Maybe you can configure both ports in access mode, not trunk,  on VLAN 73.

Ok, I got it working. We implemented port security and I forgot to take out the port that the switch is plugged into. Thanks for the responses I did learn some other things though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco