cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch - mls qos - NOT removing COS/DSCP values?

brettp
Level 1
Level 1

I am just now diving into COS/QOS and right away, I'm not getting far :( I am messing around on a 2950 switch. Based on what I read, when I enable "mls qos," any marked traffic entering the switch would have those values changed to 0. Is that correct? I have an Avaya VOIP phone attached that marks the DSCP value 46. When I use wireshark and capture that traffic (again, there is no other config on the switch except mls qos,) the DSCP value is still 46!? I thought it would be 0? Any ideas?

mls qos

interface fastethernet0/1

switchport access vlan 110

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 112

show mls qos

QoS is enabled

QoS ip packet dscp rewrite is enabled

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not afraid to show I'm an idiot... I'm back to post what the issue was. I was running wireshark and sniffing the ingress interface (duh!) thus I was seeing the marked traffic. I should have been sniffing the egress interface after the switch remarked the traffic.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The general rule on most old(er) Cisco switches, if QoS is enabled, if the port doesn't "trust", the swtich resets CoS and/or ToS to zero.

However, that's a general rule. For how your 2950 should behave, you would need to read the documentation that applies to that particular model and its running IOS version vs. how it's configured.

I'm not afraid to show I'm an idiot... I'm back to post what the issue was. I was running wireshark and sniffing the ingress interface (duh!) thus I was seeing the marked traffic. I should have been sniffing the egress interface after the switch remarked the traffic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card