cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 to 2950

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2950 that connects fine to an old d-link.  Now,  however, we're puttingin a wlan and we're putting that on it's own vlan (the LAN only has 1 vlan). So, the d-link has to go as it doesn't recognize vlans (a really old switch).

I replaced the d-link with another 2950 and I set the connecting ports on both 2950's to switchport mode trunk.  I cannot get a connection.  When I do a show int or either switch it shows the port down (no shut command doesn't work either).

Can anybody explain what I missed?  Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to use crossover cable to connect the two switches. 2950 switches do not support Auto MDIX.

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a 2950 that connects fine to an old d-link.  Now,  however, we're puttingin a wlan and we're putting that on it's own vlan (the LAN only has 1 vlan). So, the d-link has to go as it doesn't recognize vlans (a really old switch).

I replaced the d-link with another 2950 and I set the connecting ports on both 2950's to switchport mode trunk.  I cannot get a connection.  When I do a show int or either switch it shows the port down (no shut command doesn't work either).

Hi,

As suggested check the cable as 2950 will not do auto cross if you connerct two switches together, they will require a cross over cable.Check the port configs on each switch. If one port is forced to trunk, and one set to switport mode access, the two will not link.

By default, the ports on a 2950 are set to auto, so if the switches have had no changes to any of the ports, the two should link with a properly connected crossover cable.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to use crossover cable to connect the two switches. 2950 switches do not support Auto MDIX.

chireadorin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You should try on both switches to check if there is link, if there are cables misplaced.

sh int status

sh span int intf  

sh run intf         

sh vlan brief     

sh mac addr intf

sh int trunk

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As suggested check the cable as 2950 will not do auto cross if you connerct two switches together, they will require a cross over cable.Check the port configs on each switch. If one port is forced to trunk, and one set to switport mode access, the two will not link.

By default, the ports on a 2950 are set to auto, so if the switches have had no changes to any of the ports, the two should link with a properly connected crossover cable.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

(slapping forehead with hand).  Thanks.  It's been so long since I've run into that situation, it never even occurred to me that a Xover was necessary.  Worked fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card