switchport nonegotiate

speed 100

duplex full

mls qos cos 5

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast

end

I monitor port Fa0/4 and all trames have dscp 0

What is wrong in my configuration ? same configuration works with 2950.

Thanks

20 Replies 20

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You usually use "cos" for non-ip traffic (trunk interfaces) and "dscp" for ip traffic.

What kind of traffic is traversing via this interface?

Is the media gateway server setting its own "cos" value or you want the switch to insert this value on the packets?

If so, you must use "mls qos cos 5 override".

For more information on QoS in Cat2960 see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

We have ip traffic. The media gateway is not able to set its own "cos" value.

cmd line Mls qos cos 5 override is not accepted by the switch

Configure for DSCP instead.

__

Edison.

h.parsons
Level 3
Level 3

The "mls qos cos override" is a separate command that you would enter on the interface but its not your problem. If your gateway doesn't mark COS then it isn't needed. I agree just mark the DSCP with EF(46).

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

+1 on DSCP.

Bear in mind that CoS field only exists on Ethernet frame with 802.1Q header. Since your port is configured as access port, there's no 802.1Q header, hence no CoS field. On the contrary, DSCP field is contained within the IP header, so it exists end-to-end. Always configure DSCP/IP Prec when you can, and only fallback to CoS when your hardware is not capable to look past L2 header. Note that most newer Layer-2 switches can look up to layer-4 headers for QoS purposes only.

But why the same configuration works on a 2950 switch ? What is wrong for 2960 ?

How can i configure DSCP/ IP Prec on the port to mark all frames incoming on this port with EF ?

Good point. Sorry I missed that. I'm not sure why it worked on 2950, but not 2960. But then again, we're talking about change of platform, so I'm not at all surprised that the configs would have to change too, especially in relation to QoS.

Here's a QoS config guide for 2960. There're a few sections about configuring classification and marking using DSCP: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_37_se/configuration/guide/swqos.pdf

Edit: better yet, start with configuring AutoQoS on the interface before you start with the classification and marking configs. This will ensure all the necessary QoS configs are automatically generated by the switch. Saves you from having to manually configuring everything from scratch. :-)

One of the challenges of QOS is almost every platform is different, try the following and I did this from memory so if someone else sees a problem with it chime in:

policy-map your_policy

class class-default

set dscp ef

interface fa0/4

service-policy input your_policy

That will work. However, it's better to apply the commands above AFTER issuing AutoQoS. If nothing else, to ensure the CoS-to-DSCP and DSCP-to-CoS mappings are done properly. As has been pointed out, every platform is different, so it's better to let AutoQoS handle this type of platform-specific configurations.

sorry but no success. Diffserv is still 0 in my network trace

Where are you sniffing the traffic?

On the same switch

My sniffer is on fast 0/3 and i monitor fast0/4

I believe you are sniffing the traffic before the switch marks it. Try sniffing a port where the traffic is exiting the switch or the the port on the next upstream device where this switch connects too.

Sniffing an other port, same pb

Here is my configuration

mls qos

policy-map VOIP_SIEMENS

class class-default

set dscp ef

interface FastEthernet0/4

description *** MEDIA GATEWAY RTP ***

switchport access vlan 11

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

load-interval 30

speed 100

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

service-policy input VOIP_SIEMENS

end

MAN_SW_TOIP-0_01#sh mls qos interface fastEthernet 0/4

FastEthernet0/4

Attached policy-map for Ingress: VOIP_SIEMENS

trust state: not trusted

trust mode: not trusted

trust enabled flag: ena

COS override: dis

default COS: 0

DSCP Mutation Map: Default DSCP Mutation Map

Trust device: none

qos mode: port-based

MAN_SW_TOIP-0_01#sh policy-map interface fastEthernet 0/4

FastEthernet0/4

Service-policy input: VOIP_SIEMENS

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

0 packets, 0 bytes

30 second offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: any

0 packets, 0 bytes

30 second rate 0 bps

Policy map seems not working ???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco