cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 IOS upgrades

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

So, my employer, known for doing it cheap, has purchased several 2960S switches with LAN base for terminating some remote sites. Pretty simple implementation - local subnet, routed interface, one static route.

Unfortunately, they bought refurbed, and the devices came with an IOS earlier than the one which enabled IP routing on the 2960 (They're got 12.2(50), and need 12.2(55), from what Iv'e read.

Now, I go to CCO and look to download the upgraded IOS - but the only versions I can find are the LAN Lite images - there's no LAN Base I can find for *any* version.

Is there some trick to getting the LAN Base images? Or is it just because my dumb support partner organisation hasn't yet gotten around to assigning these products to my CCO account so I can download it?

I'm having a very dumb day today! :-)

Cheers.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bypass your "dumb support partner".  Send an email to the Cisco Service Entitlements Team with ALL the serial numbers and you should be able to start downloading IOS in about 2 hours.

leolaohoo wrote:

Bypass your "dumb support partner".  Send an email to the Cisco Service Entitlements Team with ALL the serial numbers and you should be able to start downloading IOS in about 2 hours.

Can't do that - the support contracts aren't in "our" name - they're in the name of the partner (who is also our outsourced "support" organisation), and anything to do with the contracts has to be done by the partner. :-(

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where are you looking? 2960S images are a free download for anyone.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren,

I just tried it using my CCO which is not registerd for 2960s series (because we never use them) but can download IOS 15.

here is the image I was able to download:

c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin

What is the exact model number?

HTH

Hi everyone!

As Reza has asked, it is important to know the exact reference model.

For the 2960, the two available models (lanlite and lanbase) have some hardware differences and work with their exclusive software images (lanbase or lanlite). That is the reason why we can see only lanlite or only lanbase versions for a specific model under the download area.

• For lanlite 2960 models, the last letter of the reference is –S (ex:  WS-C2960-24TC-S), only lanlite images are available in the download area.
  • For lanbase 2960 models, the last letter is –L (WS-C2960-24LT-L), only lanbase images are available in the download area.

As there is hardware differences between both, we cannot install a lanbase image in a lanlite model and vice-versa.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/prod_qas0900aecd80322c37.html

Q. Can I upgrade or downgrade a Cisco Catalyst 2960 Switch between the LAN Base and LAN Lite IOS images?

A. No. Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches cannot be upgraded from LAN Lite to LAN Base and cannot be downgraded from LAN Base to LAN Lite.

=========

A similar logic applies for the 2960S switches using the universal image =>

Q. What software images do the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches support?

A. All Catalyst 2960-S switches (including the LAN Lite models) use the Universal image.

The tar file will be named c2960s-universal-tar.12.2.53.SE. The name will change over time as new Cisco IOS Software releases are made available.

Q. Do I have to install a license to use the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Universal image?

A. No. All Catalyst 2960-S models use the Universal image. The license associated with the switch at manufacturing is the only license needed. The feature set is fixed during manufacture.

====================

So the ultimate question is to know what is the reference model of the 2960 in order to know the supported feature.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/prod_models_comparison.html

Best regards

Karim

Plain  2960 (LAN Base or LAN Lite) cannot run Universal IOS.

krahmani323 wrote:

Hi everyone!

As Reza has asked, it is important to know the exact reference model.

Thanks - I'm actually aware of the limitations of the 2960 hardware, and the switches (as originally stated) came with LAN Base installed and running on them.

I just needed to update the version, not the feature set.

Cheers.

Reza Sharifi wrote:

Darren,

I just tried it using my CCO which is not registerd for 2960s series (because we never use them) but can download IOS 15.

here is the image I was able to download:

c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin

What is the exact model number?

HTH

They're WS-C2960-240TC-L switches, and I swear to god that the LAN Base image wasn't in my download list yesterday.

It is today.

Which is weird. Maybe I clicked the wrong link when I searched the download center. I dunno.

Anyways, I've got the software now - all I need is for the relentless stream of other issues to leave me alone for an hour or so to let me upgrade the switches. :-)

Thanks guys.

This actually happened to me too last week.  I was looking to download a new release of IOS 15 for the 3750x series.  I could not find it.  I asked one of my co-workers to login and check, sure enough he and I could see all the versions.

I login 2 hours later and can see all the images too.

I thought, I am going crazy.

Cheers,

At least it's not just me. Cisco is scr*wing with our heads. :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card