cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 or 3560

amz
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody tell me what is the difference between 2960 and 3560?

Thankx!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello

Agree with prem & Ig.... functionally the 2960 and 3560 have a lot of differences.. To know the exact differences, feature by feature (for eg multicast support, security, layer 2 , layer 3 , resiliency features etc), download the catalyst switching guide on the URL below:

http://cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns147/netbr0900aecd80357ff4.html

Go to Page 7, and it will give allllll the differences between , all the cisco series switches !!!!!!!! This is a really useful guide to select the appropriate switch for your network....

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful...

Raj

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The 2960 is the successor for the 2950 series of layer2 access switches. The 3560 is the next model in the 3550 series which offers more features than the 2960 such as PoE and layer3 switching. Please check the product documentation for exact details on the features offered by each model:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/index.html

Regards,

Leo

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

AFAIK Cisco 2960 is a Layer 2 Switch which comes with advanced qos features and other filtering options but Cisco 3560 is a pure Layer 3 Switch with routing and other advanced security features incorporated in it.

Cisco 2960 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/products_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Cisco 3560 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

regds

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello

Agree with prem & Ig.... functionally the 2960 and 3560 have a lot of differences.. To know the exact differences, feature by feature (for eg multicast support, security, layer 2 , layer 3 , resiliency features etc), download the catalyst switching guide on the URL below:

http://cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns147/netbr0900aecd80357ff4.html

Go to Page 7, and it will give allllll the differences between , all the cisco series switches !!!!!!!! This is a really useful guide to select the appropriate switch for your network....

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful...

Raj

Thanks. Can you suggest one of them for Microsoft Great Plains Connectivity based on the following setup.

1. MS Great Plains (ERP Application)

2. 13 Offices with 30 GP Users will be connected through wireless, ADSLs and Dial-ups.

3. Headoffice will be connected through 512Kbps wireless.

4. Total number of users in headoffice will be 50 including 14 GP users.

Moreover, for wireless connectivity in headoffce, 1841 Secutiry Bundle, Adv.security, 64FL/256DR OR

1841 Modular Router w/2xfe, 2wan slots, 32FL/128DR will work with

PIX 515E.

Thankx!

Hello amz,

do u want a suggestion for a switch in your HO ? ?? I see only 30 users on the LAN accessing your GP.. since it is this small a LAN, you can put them on the same VLAN and access the application.. since you are not looking for layer 3 here, the 2960's can do the job for you.. but if you are looking at distributed subnets for various applications in future, i prefer u go for the 3560 switch.. In either way, it is advisible to go for the enhanced image of software, which can help u in future...

Hope this helps.. give us more details if you need anything else..

Raj

30 users are for GP only and not only in headoffice rather they will be coming from different branches. User can increase in future and application too. So i think it is better to go for 3560.

What about 1841 Router for wireless connectivity. Should i go for 1841 Adv.Security or without Adv.Security?

Thankx!

hello amz,

are u looking only for wireless on the 1841 router ??? what other features will u need ? you can order the appropriate IOS, later if needed !!!!

Raj

I am going to connect my headoffice with other 10 branches using wireless through an isp. It will be a vpn network of 11 branches. If it does not need adv.security then it is ok to go for 1841 without adv.security i think. What you think?

thankx!

Yep.. you can .. but what kind of wireless link will wireless is this ? The ISP will give you an ethernet input to the router, with a bridge on the top ? If this is the case, you dont need any security IOS. you can just go for a 1841... Are there any other links (T1/E1 , ISDN etc) planned in future ?? If yes, i think you can think of a medium range router like 2800....

In case you need to run VPN on the WAN , like IPSEC, you will need a security IOS...

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: