Views
Helpful
Replies

2960's and routing.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Learned colleagues!

A quick one because I'm scratching my head trying to figure the difference between the 2960 Lan Base and lan Lite IOS installs.

I want to put a 2960 into a site which has as layer 2 link on dark fibre taking it elsewhere. This part I'm not concerned about - the WS-C2960--24TC will do what I need without issue - but I don't know if I can get away with Lan Lite, or if I need Lan Base.

I basically need VLAN's with associated SVI's, and a routed link on the uplink port (I don't care if it's a switchport with an associated SVI or a no switchport and IP address), but it's got to be able to run OSPF.

Can I do this with LAN base on this series switch? Or do I need to go for a higher series (3560?).

I *could* get away with static routes, but my boss is walking death on them unless I can 100% prove they're necessary, so I'd rather not right that fight!

Input welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo is correct.

Heres is some more info

from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960.html

Types of Routing

Routers and Layer 3 switches can route packets in these ways:

Using default routing to send traffic with a destination unknown to the router to a default outlet or destination

Using static routes to forward packets from predetermined ports through a single path into and out of a network

Dynamically calculating routes by using a routing protocol

The switch supports static routes and default routes, It does not support routing protocols.

Note The switch supports 16 static routes (including user-configured routes and the default route) and any directly connected routes and default routes for the management interface. The switch can have an IP address assigned to each SVI. Before enabling routing, enter the sdm prefer lanbase-routing global configuration command and reload the switch.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

I don't typically purchase 2960s for anything more than an access switch, but as far as I know the 2960 can only do static routing. When purchasing a layer 3 switch you usually want to try to go for a 3560 or a 3750 model depending on your deployment. The 2's and the 3's are the giveaway, lol.

You might want to double check the tech specs on the 2960s just to make sure though.

---

Posted by WebUser Adam Sibille from Cisco Support Community App

Web User wrote:

I don't typically purchase 2960s for anything more than an access switch, but as far as I know the 2960 can only do static routing.  When purchasing a layer 3 switch you usually want to try to go for a 3560 or a 3750 model depending on your deployment.  The 2's and the 3's are the giveaway, lol.

You might want to double check the tech specs on the 2960s just to make sure though.

---

Posted by WebUser Adam Sibille from Cisco Support Community App

Unfortunately, the 3560 & 3750 options are *way* out of the budgetary scope for this one - I was looking at getting a HWIC for an existing 2911 router to give me an SFP port I could plug the fibre into, but the price for that came back at more than the 2960 - static routing will do if I have do - as long as it supports more than 1 SVI.

Cheers.

Routing for 2960 is supported from IOS version 12.2(55)SE2.

Leo is correct.

Heres is some more info

from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960.html

Types of Routing

Routers and Layer 3 switches can route packets in these ways:

Using default routing to send traffic with a destination unknown to the router to a default outlet or destination

Using static routes to forward packets from predetermined ports through a single path into and out of a network

Dynamically calculating routes by using a routing protocol

The switch supports static routes and default routes, It does not support routing protocols.

Note The switch supports 16 static routes (including user-configured routes and the default route) and any directly connected routes and default routes for the management interface. The switch can have an IP address assigned to each SVI. Before enabling routing, enter the sdm prefer lanbase-routing global configuration command and reload the switch.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

acampbell wrote:

That's the confirmation I was after.

Static routes will do. And the 16-route limit won;t be an issue because I only need about 3 (and a default), so I'll live with it.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card