Level 1

Hi,

I have disabled the stack port by issuing the command:

#switch 1 stack port 1 disable

# show switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down         Down

However when my monitoring tool xymon/devmon polls the snmp MIBS I get alarms on StackPort1 and StackSub-St1-2

Am I missing something?  How can these two interfaces be administratively disabled. 

StackSub-St1-1 

shows as admin down.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have never used xymon/devmon for monitoring, but there is probably a place on the monitoring  system to exclude the stacking port, so it is not monitored.

HTH

Any real solution on this ? Ignoring the alert is not a solution. The solution should be disabling the port therefore it won't alert.

I'm using another tool to monitor and even with standard snmpwalk I'm seeing the port AdminUp while I've already disabled on the switch.

Why we cannot shutdown this ports on the switch side and leave it down ? Or why the disable does not really shuts it down as it should ?

Interface:StackPort1  adminStatus=up operStatus=down.

Interface:StackSub-St1-1 adminStatus=up operStatus=down.

Interface:StackSub-St1-2 adminStatus=up operStatus=down.

Here i a sample anyone can test :

host=Switch1a; community=public; 
for a in $(snmpwalk -v2c -c $community  $host  ifDescr|grep Stack | sed 's/^.*\.\([0-9]\+\).*$/\1/') ; do echo $(snmpwalk -v2c -c $community $host ifDesc |grep $a) $(snmpwalk -v2c -c $community $host ifOperStatus |grep $a) $(snmpwalk -v2c -c $community $host  ifAdminStatus |grep $a) ; done

Results:

IF-MIB::ifDescr.5179 = STRING: StackPort1 IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.5179 = INTEGER: down(2) IF-MIB::ifAdminStatus.5179 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifDescr.5180 = STRING: StackSub-St1-1 IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.5180 = INTEGER: down(2) IF-MIB::ifAdminStatus.5180 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifDescr.5181 = STRING: StackSub-St1-2 IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.5181 = INTEGER: down(2) IF-MIB::ifAdminStatus.5181 = INTEGER: up(1)

we are experiencing the same issue.  has anyone figured this out?  I have the following questions?

1. how can I disable the StackPort1 interface to make it admin down? The command "switch 1 stack port 1 disable"  did not work.

2. we use the ifAlias MIB attribute to identify a port that we don't want to monitor.  how do you set the description of the StackPort1?

3.  how do you show status of the StackPort1 interface?  The command "show switch stack-ports summary" shows the physical ports and not the StackPort1.

thanks,

mel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card