cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 switch upgrade - XP drive mapping problems?

sean.reagan
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded a site that had older 2924 switches (120-5.WC13) to new 2960 switches (12.2(25)SEE2). The only *isolated* problem I am having is about 10 or so XP machines are not running login scripts. The other 70 or so are working fine. I saw this at a previous installation also but attributed it to an XP problem. Now that it has happened with the same hardware, I'm starting to wonder. Anyone seen or heard of something like this?

I realize this is a pretty general question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a similar situation. Once I dig deeper in I'll post more details.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check your access ports on the switch and make sure you have spanning tree portfast on all user ports . It's possible that some machines are trying to run scripts but spanning tree is trying to run when first logged in and this will take up to 50 seconds before the port will pass data , just something to try . Just add the following command to all user ports . "switchport host" .

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check your access ports on the switch and make sure you have spanning tree portfast on all user ports . It's possible that some machines are trying to run scripts but spanning tree is trying to run when first logged in and this will take up to 50 seconds before the port will pass data , just something to try . Just add the following command to all user ports . "switchport host" .

Hi Glen,

I suspect this may be replated to MTU setting, you can varify the MTU size in OLd switch and New Switch.

Set MTU to Maximum.

Greetings,

Thanks for the response! It was a spanning-tree issue. I added the command "spanning-tree portfast" on the switches and it resolved the problem.

This is usually a command we have on all client ports, but this time someone else did the config and omitted that command.

Thanks again for the tip. It worked!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card