cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X Stacking with 5

Andrew Clark
Level 1
Level 1

I have done some research already but all i can find is examples of 2, 3, and 4 switch stacks. What is the proper connection for Flex Stack cables with 5 switches?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most common and conventional way I've seen them done (and I know works) is to go from:

switch A stack port 2  to switch B stack port 1

switch B stack port 2  to switch C stack port 1

switch C stack port 2  to switch D stack port 1

switch D stack port 2  to switch E stack port 1

switch E stack port 2  to switch A stack port 1

That last connection requires you to order the longer Flexstack cable (CAB-STK-E-1M or, if the switches are spread across different racks, perhaps even the CAB-STK-E-3M) as the ones that ship with the switch are only 0.5m long.

You can interweave and make it work using only 0.5m cables but it's a bit more complicated to setup that way.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most common and conventional way I've seen them done (and I know works) is to go from:

switch A stack port 2  to switch B stack port 1

switch B stack port 2  to switch C stack port 1

switch C stack port 2  to switch D stack port 1

switch D stack port 2  to switch E stack port 1

switch E stack port 2  to switch A stack port 1

That last connection requires you to order the longer Flexstack cable (CAB-STK-E-1M or, if the switches are spread across different racks, perhaps even the CAB-STK-E-3M) as the ones that ship with the switch are only 0.5m long.

You can interweave and make it work using only 0.5m cables but it's a bit more complicated to setup that way.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Marvin,

Also you "can" stack 2960S with 2960X but, personally, not recommended.  When you add a single 2960S to a stack 2960X, the you will not be able to stack five or more (up to 4 switches).

Cisco will not allow some enterprising person to buy a single (expensive) 2960X and hoping to stack up to nine (cheaper) nine 2960S together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: