cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960G's not communicating

is66rlhntadm
Level 1
Level 1

We have to 2960g'S and from switch 0 I can't ping switch 1 and people on switch 1 can't access the proxy server on switch 0

I can't see anything wrong with this config please help

and as there was only one cable going between the old switches there is only one going between the new switches and it happens to be going from sw0/47 to sw1/48

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard. Thats cool. But any idea why the portchannel did not work ? Layer 2 on portchannel was fine, but no layer 3 access ? were you able to troubleshoot that ?

Anyway, great to see that you have solved the issue...

Raj

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

switchtower
Level 1
Level 1

From what I can see, the problem you might have is with how the port-channel is setup. Currently, on both switches, you are using ports Gi0/47 and 48 in the port-channel.

If you don't plan on using port channel, I would remove that portion of the configuration and just have normal trunk connections between sw0/47 to sw1/48.

You can remove the port-channels by doing the following on both switches:

interface range Gigabitethernet 0/47-48

no channel-group 1 mode on

no interface port-channel 1

The interfaces will be just normal trunk ports now, since the command "switchport mode trunk" was already there.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please post output of

1) sh int trunk

2) sh ip int brief

3) sh cdp neigh

from both switches.

Jon

As the switches are over 4,000 miles away from me and there isn't a console cable going to SW1 I can only sh the output from SW0

(I will have access to SW1 tommorow but I need to figure out what part of the config I messed up on)

if simpily removing the port-channel would work I'll remove it from both but we want the port-channel for speed and reliability(although the 2nd cable wasn't connected yet)

And I still can't ping 172.18.18.3 from ether the server or sw0

Hey richard

Are you getting the mac-address/ARP details of 18.3 from Switch 0 ?? Is the layer 2 communication through ? Might be there is another PC or device with the same IP address, and there could be a IP clash ! just guessing.. Troubleshoot starting from layer 1, then 2, and atlast 3 ! Are there any logs, in "show log" output ??

Also, add the command "switchport encapsulation dot1q" on the trunk interfaces, to force dot1q.. In anycase, your native vlan is 1, and the packets would go untagged, just like an access port....

Hope this helps..

Raj

the 2960G's don't have the command "switchport encapsulation dot1q" (as they can only do Dot1Q)

and in the output of show Mac address-table shows multiple mac addresses from interface PO1

does it show the mac-address of 18.3 from Switch 0 , in the ARP table? If yes, can you see if that particular ARP is forwarded out of PO 1, using the show mac-address table command ?

show arp for 18.3, take the ARP and give a show mac-addr table..

Raj

I don't know off hand a mac address for SW1(18.3) and till tommorow I can't connect to the Command line

as for IP addresses We've used the same ones that the former switches used (which were swaped out) so there shouldn't be an IP conflict

users on sw1 can't reach users on sw0

After pinging (unsuccessfully of course) 18.3 from SW0 then quickly doing a SH arp it shows incomplete as the mac address for 18.3

Can you configure switchport mode access, and switchport access vlan 1 on the gig0/47 port of switch 0 connecting to Switch 1, for troubleshooting purpose , and remove trunk ? Let it act as a normal access port and try to reach VLAN 1's ip address on the second switch !

in anycase, we will have to wait till u get access to second switch !

Raj

No.. what I was asking you to check is, if you have an ARP table entry for 172.18.18.3 on Switch 0.. If this doesnt exist, it is a layer 2 issue... You can probably do a clear ARP on switch 0, to make sure the IP 18.3 doesnt point to the older switch's MAC !! ARP will re-build again, and populate the mac address table !

If you dont have any ARP for 18.3 on Switch 0 (using the show arp command), it is tough to troubleshoot, unless you get access to second switch...

Raj

There is no entry on SW0 for 18.3 in the arp table

but if I try to ping 18.3 an entry shows up for a few seconds (but is listed as incomplete)

If he removes the portchannel then one link will become blocked because that creates a built in loop so it will be a single link carrying traffic between them . Is layer 1 ok ? Verify with "show interface status" , 47 and 48 should show connected. Does a show interface trunk look right , though this can be deceiving when the trunks and channels are forced on . That being said even if the trunk was working who is doing the layer 3 routing as the 2960's are layer 2 only and need a layer 3 device to route between the different vlans.

glen.. layer 1 seems to be fine.. had a look at CDP !

SW0#sh cdp n

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

SW1 Gig 0/47 150 S I WS-C2960G Gig 0/48

it does show the second switch connected.. cdp is fine.. need access to second switch i guess..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco