cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S 10GB uplink ports

schultzycom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, it has been a while since I have dealt with Cisco so please bare with me.  I am looking at getting two 2960S 24 port switches, and I am wondering it talks about being able to have 2 x 10 GB fiber uplink ports.  Now can I use those two fiber ports to connect to a 10 GB enabled server?  if so what do I loose out of the 24 regular ethernet ports?

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Terry,

Traditionally the 10Gig fiber ports are used to uplink one switch to another or two others switches, but if you are not using them for uplinks then you can use them to connect to servers as long as the servers support 10Gig interfaces.   Most servers come with LC connectors so you need a fiber patch cord with one site LC and the other site SC but check the connectors first.  Also by using the 10Gig interface you do not loose aany of the copper ports

HTH

Reza

Thanks,  for your response.  I was hoping that was the case but I could not find any documentation stating so

.  We are going to use the stacking cable to connect the switches so that is why we do not require the uplinks.

Thanks again,

Terry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card