cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S buffer size

jwjorgensen
Level 4
Level 4

I have a customer that is seeing output drops on a 2960S with mls qos not enabled.  It appears that they are getting bursty traffic on the switch that is filling up the buffers, hence causing the drops.  I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the default queue/buffer settings when mls qos is NOT enabled on the switch.

2. Is there any good documentation out there regarding the buffer sizes of the different switch models

The customer is looking for an answer as to whether or not replacing the 2960S with a higher model would eliminate the output drops WITHOUT having to mess with QOS/buffer/drop threshold settings on the switch, and Cisco doesn't seem to make the buffer sizes readily available for the the smaller Catalyst switches.

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

1. What are the default queue/buffer settings when mls qos is NOT enabled on the switch.

I believe 4x, as all the resource are devoted to a single queue rather than QoS enabled 4 queues.

2. Is there any good documentation out there regarding the buffer sizes of the different switch models

I don't recall seeing good documenation for that.

The customer is looking for an answer as to whether or not replacing the 2960S with a higher model would eliminate the output drops WITHOUT having to mess with QOS/buffer/drop threshold settings on the switch, and Cisco doesn't seem to make the buffer sizes readily available for the the smaller Catalyst switches.

It may, but you might have to jump to a much higher model, e.g. 4500, 4900 or 6500.  The 3560 and 3750, I believe, are not that different from 2960s (at least in this aspect).  MetroEthernet series switches might have increased buffering.

If you don't have a need for QoS feature, just disabling QoS might provide the resources needed.  If QoS is needed, considering the price for a "better" device, tuning of QoS parameters could be considered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card