cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s Initial Config

jburger
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with the initial config on a 2960s. Whenever I assign an IP to the interface that the fiber is going to, it acts like it accepts it, but when I try to save it, it gives the error below....

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/52

no shutdown

ip address 192.168.48.67 255.255.255.0

!

end

[0] Go to the IOS command prompt without saving this config.

[1] Return back to the setup without saving this config.

[2] Save this configuration to nvram and exit.

Enter your selection [2]: 2

no ip routing

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ip address 192.168.48.67 255.255.255.0

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Building configuration...

[OK]

*Mar  1 00:25:55.866: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to adminis

tratively down

*Mar  1 00:25:56.086: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, cha

nged state to down

Use the enabled mode 'configure' command to modify this configuration.

MOB_Cisco_2960s#

This is my first initial configuration of a Cisco switch, so keep that in mind with your responses (don't assume that I did anything correctly up to this point). :-)

Thanks,

Justin

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Justin

Because you are trying to assign an IP to a physical interface does this mean you want the switch to route ?

If so i don't think routing is supported on physical interfaces, you need to use SVIs for this ie. L3 vlan interfaces.

Can you explain what you are going to do in terms of vlans etc. on this switch ?

Jon

I do not want this switch to do any routing. I am just trying to assign an IP to the switch itself, so it can get on the network. I assume I was going about that incorrectly? Thanks

Justin

You need to assign the IP to a L3 vlan interface on the switch.

So a couple of questions -

1) are you having multiple vlans on this switch, Note not to route between them ie. the routing would be done on another device.

2) what are you connecting to ie. another switch

3) do you have a dedicated vlan for managing your switches

Apologies for all the questions but they are needed to setup the switch correctly.

Jon

Justin,

In L3 switches, you can assign an ip address to a physical port after issuing a "no switchport" command on the port. The 2960S I believe has limited capability, and this command doesn't exist on my 2960s. For management, you'd want to configure the ip address on the vlan interface:

int vlan 1

Then add a gateway:

ip default-gateway

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Jon,

1. Yes, there will be multiple vlans.

2. This 2960s is connected via fiber to our Fiber switch, then onto our Core Switch.

3. No. We do nothave a dedicated vlan for managing our switches.

John,

I tried your steps to assign an IP to the Vlan. It seems to have accepted it, but I am unable to see it on our network. See below...

MOB_Cisco_2960s(config)#int vlan 1

MOB_Cisco_2960s(config-if)#ip address 192.168.48.67 255.255.255.0

MOB_Cisco_2960s(config-if)#end

MOB_Cisco_2960s#

*Mar  1 03:04:22.109: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

MOB_Cisco_2960s#copy running-config startup-config

Destination filename [startup-config]?

Building configuration...

[OK]

0 bytes copied in 1.300 secs (0 bytes/sec)

MOB_Cisco_2960s#

Justin

Okay, you need a trunk link between the 2960 and the other switch so -

int gi1/0/52

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q <-- this command might not be available, if not don't worry

switchport mode trunk

the other end of the link needs to be configured as a trunk as well.

For management you can use vlan 1 as John suggested. You need a default gateway added to the switch. Does the core switch have a vlan 1 interface ? If so then get that IP, it should be in the same subnet as  192.168.48.67. If so add this to your new switch -

ip default-gateway 192.168.48.x   <--- the IP from the core switch

If there is no IP address on vlan 1 on the core switch then you need to decide which vlan to use for managing the switch. It will be the vlan which uses the same subnet as the IP you are using on the vlan 1 interface on the new switch.

Jon

Justin,

If you're coming from a different subnet, you'll need a default gateway on the switch as well. If you're trying to ping from the 192.168.48.0/24 subnet, make sure that the vlan interface isn't shut.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Jon,

That worked. Thanks a lot for the help. I can get to it now through the Cisco Network Assistant. I know, I know, CLI is the way to go, but I don't speak the CLI language and with the CNA I don't need to. :-)

Thanks again,

Justin

Justin

No problem, glad you got it working.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card